03 Pro 280 Rad Cap

mxerkev250

Quite a few years since I have looked at one but I think what you are calling a brass insert is like a large thin washer that holds (or should hold) a rubber seal in place. The rubber seal used to soften and thin with age, as this seal gets thinner and thinner the pressure at which coolant boils out gets lower and lower.

You can make a temporary fix by cutting a rubber washer from an inner tube

It's not a thermostat but a pressure relief valve. The pressure is written on the cap but is usually about 14psi. So if yours is hollow and flows freely in both directions then it needs replacing. The system is pressurized to raise the boiling point of the coolant. The cap is also designed to allow air to be taken in if needed as the system cools.

Normally there should be no coolant spitting out but you might get a bit on the first ride after filling the radiator. If any coolant comes out after that it's usually a fan problem (most commonly the thermo-switch).

Just get a new cap anyway - they don't last forever.

Chris

Brisbane Australia.

Yeah Kev, same description applies to the plastic cap - it should have a pressure relief valve and not vent until about 14 psi has built up in the radiator. It should not flow freely in both directions.

My gasser has the plastic cap also. Sorry I don't have a picture of it.

Chris.