Bultaco Electronic Ignition

trum

Hello everyone, just after some advice please, I'm thinking of electronic ign soon for my 159 bultaco, my bike is currently points and condenser and is running spot on at low revs and when opened up it pulls well and revs lovely so I'm in no rush to change to electric yet, however I just wondered if I would notice much of an improvement with electronic ign? I think I will leave the bike as it is for now and maybe purchase one when my set of points have had it, which leads to my next question.... Which ones are best on the market, or are they much the same?? I've seen in-motion one and electrex world one?? I will not be needing lighting coil one either, thanks for your help and sorry for the long post !!!

i bought an electric ignition as am in the same position my bike is running spot on. i was told to leave it on points as if set up correct it will run better. some like them some don't they are good if you can't set points and timing as there maintainence free.

Ok thanks for the info, I'm not sure what to do really, think il leave it for abit, my bike always starts first or second kick cold and always first when warm, I've only ever set points and timed it up once..... Took me a long time to get it spot on lol, so I think when that time comes I will go down the road of electronic ign for maintenance reasons, thanks for your help bondy

I just wondered if I would notice much of an improvement with electronic ign?

Depends on how much better you would ride with a lightened wallet...

Yet another case of believing that every new technological development MUST be an improvement ?

Here's a seasoned expert fitting electronic ignition to his Sherpa, in what is described as "a straightforward d.i.y. job which will improve ignition performance and consistency" :-

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJZNao4l0gU (copy & paste)

....and it took only 14 kicks to get it running !

• Like 3

The major advantage of an electronic ignition is the advance curve they have. A points ignition has set timing so it will run how you set the timing but an electronic ignition has an advance curve which changes the timing according to the revs which is much better. I used to like timing my Sherpa after every trial or every two trials but I would not go back to points now unless I had to. I have an In Motion one on mine.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replys everyone, i think I will leave it as it is for now, because they do cost a little bit, and like people have said if it's not broke then why fix it, and I agree with this!! Just know that when it comes to setting new points and timing I will struggle because it was years ago when I done it, which I did right but then bike sat in garage for a long while, I'm sure it will all come back to me when I need to do points and timing!