Powder Coat A Front Pipe? .. Will It Come Off?

magicmat

Hi All,

The front pipe on my Montesa 1998 315r, is all rusty.

Im wanting to paint it and thought i'd use some stove paint, or Very High temp paint.

but wondered about Powder coating, does it work with a front pipe, or does it come straight off?

I know most pipes are chromed nowadays, but i dont want to go that far.

Thanks

Matt

The short answer is 'yes', but you have to use the high temperature stuff. There are other alternatives too, a high temperature two-pack epoxy paint will probably cope or better still, a vitreous enamel which is stoved after spraying. All I can suggest is give Steve Garsed a ring at Fast Line powder coatings on 01772 563550 (Preston). I think Maldon Shotblast and Powder Coating do a high temperature powder too. They are at Unit 2a Benbridge Industrial Estate, Heybridge, Maldon, Essex CM9 4ER, Tel:01621 841100. I've used Fast Line on my Bultacos and on a Triumph silencer, with excellent results.

Failing that, shotblast the pipe and use PJ1, then bake it on. Works like a charm and is the cheapest alternative. You'll have to shotblast the outer and clean the inner anyway. Good luck.

Not sure why taking the chrome option is taking it to far, I've had a few things rechromed and it's a simple process. I would get it chromed, or make a new one out of titanium :-)

Its an old bike, and the front pipe has a few dents, dont want to be spending £40+? on chroming it

There is something like ceramic coating. Dont know about prices tho

expensive i think, not cheap when looking at race car manifolds, may be more cost effective for a little front pipe mind.

Hi,

The best thing I have found is get it metal sprayed with Molten aluminium, then spray it with high temp exhaust paint lasts for years!

Thanks, not sure you can buy molten aluminium in a can though?

I may just blast it with a high temp paint, or the suggestions for expoxy etc and baking could be the way forward.

However if the wifes oven smells of oil for months after, she will kill me

On a Sherco Biffsgasgas and I used a home powder coat system on the header pipe. Powder coat only came off when the pipe contacted something substantial.

We also did the muffler and mid pipe, but my boots wore the powder coat off after a couple months riding

Rest of the bike well......................that opens a thread arguing about reliability...... :stoned: