Spongy Clutch Seems Impossible To Bleed Wth

bigmark1972

I recently put a new clutch in my factory 300 and it works fine but the lever is spongy as Hell and it feels like crap.

I've never had such a hard time bleeding something in my life.

It uses mineral oil, I first filled the lower cavity with mineral oil then attached

the line so there was no air below that.

Next I pulled the cap off of the reservoir and pushed mineral oil

with a syringe attached to the cracked bleed nipple until it was half full.

This method has always worked for me first go but not now for some reason.

I've tried several times now and the clutch lever feels spongy as Hell, not nearly as solid as it was or should be.

The clutch engages just fine and it "works" but it definitely feels like crap, nothing like it should.

I'm using a 3cc syringe and may try a 10cc so I don't have to refill at all but I saw no air enter (clear plastic line)

Am I missing some trick or something here? I can not think of anything I am doing wrong.

Edited by bigmark1972

Mines not as precise as say a Sherco with a very exact biting point,maybe a slight spongy feeling.

Never slips, but needs to be well in to the bar to totally clear so the biting point is further away than I would like.

Never bled an Ossa clutch but every one I've done involves taking the lever off and small metal rod/ spring.that pushes the piston.

Then make sure the piston in the master cyl comes right back and use a thin allen key or similar to work the piston so you get a full stroke.

Trying to bleed with the lever on never really works well and takes ages.

But maybe you already know this.!

Cheers.

Try this trick. Turn the bars so the clutch master cylinder is the highest point in the system. Squeeze the lever close to the bars, then wrap a bungee cord or Velcro strap around it so it holds the system under pressure. Leave it like that overnight.

No promises but sometimes this will force the air bubble to the top where it can bleed out to the reservoir. Good luck. Let us know if this works for you too.

• Like 2

I use a combination of all the methods mentioned plus one other. Using the syringe to create a vacuum and gently crack the bleed nipple. The air travels much more freely than the fluid so should travel into the syringe first. Use a clear length of tube with fluid in between syringe and nipple for spotting the air coming out.

• Like 1

thats_a_five your suggestion worked for me!

It's about 90% right now I gave the line some taps and will

let it sit again strapped tonight but it's definitely helped a lot.

I expect it to be good to go after another sit.

Rode it around my building tonight can't wait to get to spend some

time on it again.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried regular mineral oil and that was too thick and held bubbles.

I bought some Motorex mineral clutch fluid, bled it ina few minutes and still irking great.

Mark

Ended up doing that as well, I can confirm it had a better feel with the thinner fluid.