I Think I May Be A Pleb...

elliotsdaddy

Ok, so picture this...

After working for hours on my bike fixing this and fixing that, replacing this and replacing that. I finally thought I was done......started it up, had a little potter by the garage and...'putput, baaabaaaa, putputput' and then it stopped.

Started it up again and the same thing happened.

I thought 'ah ha' it's probably a fuel issue thanks to the new lines and filter I put on. I thought that the pipe run might've been less than ideal causing it to splutter and die.

So I re-ran the fuel line in what I thought was a much better direction, jumped on and the thing wouldn't even fire....nothing...not a thing.

To make matters worse I only had trainers on and the kickstart did that 'SNAP' thing a few times, needless to say the arch of my right foot was a bit sore, lesson learned.

So after a bit of head stratching it dawned on me........put some flippin' fuel in the flippin' thing! Yep, that's right, it was out of fuel.....what a pleb, I mean really. :)

Sometimes it's the simple, little, obvious things that pass us by.

Anyhow, Sherco is in for an MOT tomorrow afternoon, which me luck. :)

Ho! Ho! Ho!...etc.

Chris.

• Like 2

A few years ago my son went to start his Fantic 50 after I had done something or another to it ... It would fire off and barely idle and not take any throttle at all ... after a carb clean etc. it was no different ... Out of the blue I pulled the exhaust apart and found the missing rubber tip from my blowgun logged in the inlet pipe to the silencer ... And I still have never figured out how it got there ...

Beer and wrenches don't mix ...

Glenn

• Like 1

A few years ago my son went to start his Fantic 50 after I had done something or another to it ... It would fire off and barely idle and not take any throttle at all ... after a carb clean etc. it was no different ... Out of the blue I pulled the exhaust apart and found the missing rubber tip from my blowgun logged in the inlet pipe to the silencer ... And I still have never figured out how it got there ...

Beer and wrenches don't mix ...

Glenn

Priceless!

• Like 1

A few years ago I was going trail riding with a few mates on our trials bikes & 1 guy had his bike die just as we were setting off after warming up, next week when we saw him he confessed to leaving a rag in the airbox after cleaning filter & it had blocked off the carb

• Like 1

A customer years ago complained that his street bike only ran good when it rained, it was blubbery and underpowered, he had been upset about this for 2 years

We found his rubber rain booties under the seat on top of the air box intake

I never saw him again

• Like 5

Years ago a customer came in with a Yamaha Rd400, requesting a new clutch. Turns out all the teeth on the counter shaft sprocket were GONE! We saved that on the wall for years and years. Imagine how many times the guy had to of tried riding that bike to make that sprocket a complete circle, not a tooth existing.

• Like 2

Here goes mine.........

I (used to) pride myself on my carb knoweldge. Boy did I get humbled by this one that was self generated by ME. :blush:

Beta would not run worth crap. Took the carb off only to find lots of little white blobs in the fuel bowl. :o

Any guesses what they turned out to be?

Answer to follow :rolleyes:

• Like 1

about a year ago, i had my first bike a 1999 sherco 250, when i went to pick it up i watched how he started it and then took it home but could i hell start this bike, after two days i realised i was mistakingly turning the petrol tap on the off position thinking i was putting the choke in the on position that bike was never going to start.

• Like 1

Well it seems the hardest part of fault finding is fighting the embarrassment of being wrong and being the first to confess :blush:

Then a chain reaction begins and we all try to outdo each others misfortune.

You learn by making mistakes and more fun to learn from others.

I fitted an immobiliser to my Gasser and it works faultlessly, it's just me that forgets about it :rotfl:

• Like 3