2013 290 A Handful!

cg7160

I bought a sherco 290 a few weeks back and im finding it a bit of a handful,it has a fast action throttle which I am going to change for a slow action. I also find that it can struggle for traction at times, this is my first bike in years but is there things I can do or sell it and get a 250 which I don't want to do as I really like everything else about the bike or is it just early days and I need to get use to it?

Even though this sounds counter intuitive a properly jetted bike can seem smoother and less powerful than an improperly jetted bike. This often happens when the pilot/needle circuit isn't quite right and the bike will be boggy off the bottom and suddenly get interested in the proceedings once a larger throttle is given. A slow throttle is a good idea. Another thing I've found to make a large bike easier to deal with is carbon fiber reeds. One of the first things I do to my Betas is throw a set of Tassinari V-Force reeds in. The Beta and the Sherco take the same reeds. Adds great grunt and really smooths the transition into the mid-range. Another thing to try is a lower compression head. I have an S3 low compression head insert in my current bike. It mellowed the 300 out just enough to let me catch back up to it. It was starting to get away from me last year and I thought I needed to make it less aggressive. Turned out I had Lyme disease so my strength was going so mellowing the bike was kind of necessary anyway. Did the antibiotics bit and I'm back at the gym 3-4 times a week so I may go back to the stock head but I'm never going back to stock reeds.

Oh yeah, the lower compression head makes it easier to start.

Edited by dan williams

A 2.9 does indeed require a bit of getting used to. They will put you on your ass in a heartbeat!

This topic has come up many times over the years and I am considered the professor on the topic.

You do not state the year of the bike, but basics prevail here.

Slow throttle, helps, but I do not prefer them due to range of motion when needed.

Reeds, yep, smooths the delivery, I prefer Boyeseens and they are not costly.

I recommend an ignition timing reset of 4mm on the stator plate, as this smooths things across the board! Requires some tool, but a pro can do it in ten minuites!

I thing going to a 9T front sprocket is just too much of a jump. As 1 tooth on the front = 4 teeth on the rear, add the 9T is really hard on the chain. If you just must change gearing to slow the bike, the 2T larger rear off a 125 will do the trick. Usually not required.

Dependant upon year of bike and carb installed, the Dellorto 26 is usually easier to live with than the 28 Kiehin high perf carb. Being less finiky, you are actually opening a smaller hole with a given amount of throttle, so figure that out!

Any of this may be easily changed back as you progress!

So there you go, pick your poison, as you can tune that bike into a real DOG if needed!