Fuel Injection Discussion, 2T And 4T

dadof2

Just a brief history of my FI experience.

With the exception of basic servicing and bleeding injection systems on diesel engines my FI experience started on tillotson carburettors on Karts in the late 1970s. Although they were called carburttors they did not have floats but rather relied on injecting fuel through high and low speed jets. The fuel was pressurised using diaphragms moved by crankcase pressure. Compared to a float type carburettor they had the advantages that the mixture could be adjusted whilst driving and they were unaffected by cornering forces that could be in excess of 4G.

My next experience of EFI was open loop as used by Ford from about 1985. Several problems came to light pretty quickly. The EFI was adversely affected by varying fuel quality, much more so than carburettored engines, strange thing began to happen to fuelling if the crankcase ventilation system was not fully functional and many dealers knew sod all about EFI or the ECUs that controlled it.

Moving on through years of FI and EFI experience, much of it perfectly satisfactory I come to nearer the present time where in order to diagnose a basic family car I have had to buy another "scanner" and had I not already had a laptop would have had to buy one of those as well.

Someone mentioned direct injection (GDI) and how some are working on it for 2T engines. I wish they were not. GDI requires expensive high pressure pumps and very expensive injectors that are very sensitive to fuel containments and suffer not infrequent breakdowns.

Many of these "improvements" are developed not because of user need or reliability improvement, most are developed at great cost to appease the green lobby. Even Mercedes with their vast knowledge and financial resources are saying enough is enough.

Many of these "improvements" are developed not because of user need or reliability improvement, most are developed at great cost to appease the green lobby. Even Mercedes with their vast knowledge and financial resources are saying enough is enough.

I know "the green lobby" makes mistakes, just like everybody else, but "the user" could and does benefit from a better environment.
Nostalgia is a great thing, but don't let it cloud your judgement.
  • Like 1

Must admit I'm no fan of technology just for the sake of it but carbs have had a good run.

Remember trials bikes run that lean you cannot use them on the road in a regular manner.

Even your beloved ty monos need choke on the road so this is nothing new.

A modern stroker would last about 10 mins on the road with a heavy hand.

Time for a change.

Issues with carbs

They leak especially keihin and mikuni.

Bikes are effected by gradient, not good for trials.

They ice up in cold weather.

Im no fan of the 4rt but the only issue i have with the FI is the high tickover which, i have been led to believe, is required for efi to be powered.

FI wins for me

I would like to comment on this topic, but unfortunately I’m too poor to have a bike with FI :(

:oAll kidding aside I think you've made a good point there.

The only real reason carburetors are still in use is because the are cheaper, that and a lack of legislation.
  • Like 3

With a fuel injected bike would you have to plug it into a computer to make adjustments or diagnose a problem? If you're out in the middle of nowhere and something goes wrong there wouldn't be a lot you could do presumably. Plus trials bikes go through a lot of wear and tear, there is enough maintenance on carbed bikes.

Then again, I am in the same boat as susuki 250, I hope all the bikes don't head down this route as the average punter won't be able to afford them!

Some of the more modern engine managements systems automatically switch over to a "get home" mode in case of problems. By the way, not everyone is capable to mend a bike on the side of the road, even when it's one with a carburetor, points and drum brakes.

There always have been problems with technology, even in the iron age (i presume :ph34r: )

• Like 2

Like guys states, its just evoultion, there's been problems with new technologhy ever since someone thought about doing something differently. I haven't had any problems with the fi on mont, never had the diagnostic kit plugged into it. How many times in 10 years would you have had some water in the carb?

• Like 1

Before people start bringing tales to this thread about cars vans etc they owned can we restrict it to two wheeled off road vehicles where possible?

Id like to know if anyone with a 4rt or Ossa has had to change components on the fi system. Sounds like JRSUNT hasn't.

• Like 2