Registering A Bultaco Sherpa 198A

hencam

I am well aware this has been done to death and I have scoured the postings to date.

situation is this:

I purchased a Bultaco 198A about 9 years ago, it was purchased secondhand from a private individual, can't remember exactly but about £300 I think.

to the best of my knowledge it has never been registered.

I want to register it, so the MoT is booked, should pass, (it had a pre-mot check last week), I have been asked to put a reflector on it.

I have ordered the V55/5 form from the DVLA

Dating cert from in-motion has been recieved.

insurance quotes saved awaiting use!

my first question, do I need a NOVA1? I started to complete this but once i got to the section asking me about supplier details i am unable to fill it in. my memory does not go that far back, I can't remember sellers name or anything about him, i did get a receipt at the time but have lost it long aga . So if i need the NOVA1, how do i complete it??

2nd question, the Engine and frame numbers do not match, frame is a RB198 0**** - A, engine is RM198 0****, so slightly earlier engine, 1979 and 1978 respectively. The original engine suffered serious damage to the crankcase when the gearbox mainshaft broke up, until about 3 years ago I had kept the original cases as they came with the bike, however I weighed them in thinking I would never need them as they were not repairable. I always understood DVLA were only interested in chassis numbers, is not having the original engine likely to be a problem, and if yes, any suggestions as to how I can overcome this please?

Yes you need NOVA registration of the chassis number before DVLA will issue a reg. Engine number being different isn't an issue, they won't care.

NOVA was never intended and therefore is not designed for registering old vehicles but DVLA don't understand that so you just have to play the game. It's why it's not straightforward to complete the form. I did it over 12 months ago when it was still fairly new and I had to print the form off and complete it manually and submit it by post. There was a flaw in the design and it was impossible to complete it online. Not sure if it is still the same. Fortunately HMRC were very helpful. They aren't really interested in old vehicles, the system was introduced to stop people directly importing new vehicles and registering them with DVLA without incurring customs duty etc. They seem happy to accept that customs duty would have been paid by the legitimate importer when the bike was imported from new and that being offroad bikes, many may not have been registered originally or, may have lost there registration details over passage of time.

In the section about who the vehicle was bought from I just put private sale however many years ago, no details available. I put a covering letter with it explaining that the vehicle was first imported in whatever year by Commerfords who are no longer in business and that duty would have been paid by them at that time. If they're happy they just add the chassis number to the database. As long as it is on there DVLA will begin process of your application. HMRC were very helpful with my telephone enquiries.

Unless things have changed, DVLA won't accept a dating letter from Bultaco UK as they are not on their approved list of agents who can verify a vehicle's age. There is a list on the DV;A website somewhere, or you could phone and check. I used the letter from Bultaco UK as evidence of the age to get VMCC to issue the dating letter but I'm not sure how well they perform this service now as the person that used to be dedicated to dating letters left, so may be worth checking with them first.

Also, as most insurance companies only offer insurance for a 14 day period against a chassis number, it may be worth checking this with yours. If that is the case, don't take out the insurance until you actually submit the V55 to DVLA, otherwise your insurance will expire before they process your application, and some companies won't extend the 14 day cover, leaving you in s h 1 t street.

If you search for NOVA in this particular forum you'll find other topics about it with more info and personal experiences of others.

Hi all,

as usual this forum comes up trumps with advice and guidance, many thanks Woody and Totalshell. I will contact VMCC and find out what the score is now!

A very Merry Christmas to all and a Happy and Healthy 2015.

all the best

Hencam

• 1 month later...

Dear All,

a bit more info on registering your classic trials bike

I got fed up in the end with phoning the dvla and the fact i could not progress the pages on the online form, they were helpful but could only send me hard copies of the NOVA 1 in the end. Then I read all the stories about people getting forms returned for the slightest imperfection and honest and genuine mistakes costing them money, i also found out that the DVLA will not accept a dating letter from Dave at in-motion and would have to ask the VMCC who charge £27. I did have the MOT, passed with flying colours!!.

Woody then replied to another posting suggesting I try the people below

http://www.dvlaadvice.co.uk/.

so I did, David Williams I think was the chaps name, you pay £95 and he sends you 100% crystal clear instructions, so simple i phoned him twice to make sure I had not misread!

The whole process took me about 10 days from receiving the paperwork, i had the NOVA 1 back within a day!!! then hey presto reg number and V5 arrived after a week and 3 days later the tax details. I honestly cannot recommend these guys enough. is it expensive? well you have to make your own judgement, £65 for the luxury, but no more phone calls or hassle and he supplies you a dating cert, NOVA 1 and V55. No more worrying that telling the truth is not what they want to read. I bought my Bulto 8 years ago from an autojumble in Bristol, paid cash £300, had a receipt at the time but lost that years ago. all these question make the NOVA 1 tricky to complete if you genuinely have no evidence or detail to support your form.

hope this helps

H-cam