Sherco 290 2002 Fuel Tank Problem

sstout

Hi all

I've just bought a Sherco 290 2002 model, the fuel tank had some black goo around the petcock, as it was leaking a lot, I decided to scrape it off to see what the problem was...

turns out the tank is made of a soft plastic/polythene & the petcock doesn't sit flush against the tank base. As the plastic is pretty flexible, (it flexes more at one end than the other & has a bow in it). Does anyone know of a way to seal this? some type of polythene glue etc??

Cheers
Steve

post-20864-0-86232200-1419758545_thumb.jpg

post-20864-0-36790100-1419758555_thumb.jpg

To me it looks as if the trade insert has pulled out causing it not to sit flush I would remove the pet cock and see how flat the tank is with a straight edge . And it looks like some one has tried to melt the tank to get the thread insert out hence why the petcock is not sitting flat . To be honist you best off buying another tank as you will waste your time trying to seal it .I know this is not what you would want to hear but saves a big disappointment of it leaking all the time

Hi Folks, thanks for the info, I've made a temporary repair with some tube rubber & some foam, I'll buy some of the EPDM rubber as suggested, then if that don't work I'll start looking for a new tank...

Really appreciate the time you guys took to reply... thanks very much & happy New Year to you all...