Over 50 Twinshocker Looking For S/se Club..

berkshireduncan

Hi all, I'm looking for some suggestions on S/SE Club(s) I'm based in Wallingford, S.Oxon (10 miles East of Oxford, 10 miles North of Reading)

I'm returning to trials after a 25 year lay-off; back then I only did a couple of Clubman seasons on a Twinshock TY250, so never really reached any great standard.

I've just bought a tidy '77 Montesa 348 Cota, and I'm looking to get started with some easy route events that'll suit my age / bike / ability and build my confidence, etc.

Any & all suggestions will be gratefully received.

Thanks & best regards, Duncan

Hi Duncan,

walthamchasetrials.co.uk.

We are a large club that has 5 different routes to cater for all ablility's. Our main classes are geared towards 40 to 80 year old clubmen. Safety is our main concern when setting out as most of us have to go to work on a monday.

We have lots of youth members also to keep safe and we are a very well organised but also very laid back club.

We have twinshocks too but most ride them in the clubman classes as the way we set out makes the twinshocks as competitive as the monos.

We also run a seperate youth and wobblers series throughout the summer.

Waterside is also a very good club with most trials being in the New forest area.

• Like 2

As you're in the Oxfordshire area, why not try Ixion? The club championship events usually have at least 3 routes with the easiest route being perfectly sensible and suitable for newcomers. The first round of the 2015 championship was today though.

Cheers

Thanks both- I actually took a drive out to the Ixion event this morning for a look-see.

The TC calendar did mention 3 routes, but I'm not sure there were..(?) Virtually everyone was on moderns- I did have a brief chat with a fella on a nice Majesty TY, but he said there was only one other Twinshock running, so perhaps a little advanced for me right now.

Hi Duncan, the flag system on multi route sections can look totaly bewildering to a newcomer, so don't be put off, you'll soon get the hang of it. Also don't think just because your on a twinshock you are disadvantaged, just get out there and have some fun, you will soon find some other rider to pal along with and build your confidence up, I've found most trials riders around the world are a very friendly easy going bunch.

Wycombe are running a non expert & british bike trial at Hambledon on 11th Jan and CSMA have a twinshock/british bike trial at Bagshot 1 st Feb. Star Group (SE Centre) run an event on the second Sunday of every month except Nov that always has a twinshock class. Next Star Group is 11Jan at Hungry Hill. SE Centre events yellow route would be ideal to ease you back in, most sections could be ridden on a trail bike.

Thanks, all- that's really helpful

So can I just pick a Club with the most suitable local events for me as my 'home' Club; join up, get my ACU card- and then I'm also free to 'guest' enter on the day at other in-Centre + out-of-Centre events (..as long as they're not closed to Club)?

Best, Duncan

Great club, Duncan! I'm biased as I'm on the committee! You just missed a good event Sunday just gone for twinshock/british bikes run by Thames MCC. You will also now be a member of South Harrow in the South Midland centre as we have a reciprocal arrangement with them. Next event is at Dews FArm on the 18th Jan, hope to see you there.