Tire (tyre) Pressure?

dfwilson

What tire pressure, front and rear, should I run for different conditions. I weigh 13.5 Stone (230 lbs). I don't want to have a pinch flat but I want as much traction as possible. The conditions I ride range from my concrete patio, in which I place cement blocks, wooden crates, and, what ever else I can find to practice on, to ravines with grass, sand, and, roots. Thanks for any suggestions.

Amateur Section Crash Test Dummy

dfwilson - here in TX I run 5 in the front and 4 in the back for most conditions (soft sandy loam, leaves, some rocks, etc.). On the granite west of Austin (Katemcy Rocks) and up in Tishomingo, OK this past weekend we were running 7 in front and 6 in back - I heard of no pinch flats or cut sidewalls. I weigh 180 lb.

In the rocks I run 7 front and 5 rear

In the mud I run 6 front and 4 rear (I don't go less than that cause you never know when you'll hit one of those rim busting rocks down in that mud. Then as soon as you set up for the mud, they'll throw in a rock section on the loop.

Depends on the tires you run too.

The IRC's seem to have have a stiffer side wall and tolerate the low pressures better than the Michelins. I prefer the Michelins in the rocks and IRC's in the mud.

I've run as low as 3 psi in the rear on mine, and I'm 200lbs! ;) This is in unusual conditions with slime covered rocks, but never had any problems even running that low...oh, and this is with Michelins.

Normally I run 5-6 in front and 4-5 in the rear.

i went round the last trial with a puncture on a tubed tyre!! 0psi for 2 laps of 18 including rocks, quarry, loads of burns.... but it was amazing grip on the hill climbs and moor run but not so good when riding back on the forest track, i normally ride 4-5 psi back and 6-7 psi in front, i dont normally adjust the front as it doesnt make much difference!

REV`er ;)

• 13 years later...

1 hour ago, scratcher said:

Im 20 stone...wat pressures should i be runnin 4rt. Soft clay underneath leaves n roots some road work

As stated above pro-riders like Bou and Raga are splitting at pressures like 4 rear and 5 front without issues.

so, unless your trail riding and high speeds or riding very jagged rocks you should be fine at a psi of 4 rear and 5 front.

if your concerned maybe 4.5 rear and 5.5 to 6 front but I bet you would feel the difference in traction at that pressure.  And I wouldn't go more that 5 rear and 6.5 front...