First Time Blue Route

hrmad

First time I'm attempting the beginner route in a local trial tomorrow! Been practising since September, having seen other trials put on by this club I've got an idea of the difficulty level, feeling more confident after more practice. Last time I went to one of their trials I wimped out and practised on the conducted route instead, haha, not tomorrow!

Having talked to the land owner he sad it will be over muddy banks, through a stream and woods. Grip will be interesting. My goal is to complete all 10 sections over 4 laps, never-mind about the points first time out, I just want to finish and do my best.

Family and friends will be about to capture the inevitable falls, I'll post pics tomorrow or new years day, recovery may be required!

Any advice?

• Like 2

Forget about the points, dont take too long looking at the sections, the 2nd lap is easier than the 1st and so on, Ive just started too and on my first time was dabbing more that this years bingo champion.........enjoy my friend......good look :icon_salut:

• Like 2

Have a great time Heather,

We are all rooting for you !!!

Let people know it your first go and don't be afraid to ask lots of questions.

If you can join up with somebody to walk the sections and ride with it is a big help. I also find that if I have buddy to ride with they are handy when I need somebody to help lift my bike off me when things don't go quite as planned (once we stop laughing :D )

Good to have plenty of liquids handy - water during the event and maybe something a little stronger for once you are done.

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by michael_t
  • Like 3

All the above advice is good and It would be good to ride with someone else but not essential but most of all, have a great day, dont get flustered and dont worry about holding up other riders.

When you are at a section watch someone go through the route you are doing and try to see what they do, If your not sure ask the observer or another rider which way to go.We all started where you are now. I do hope you have a bit of fun and a great day.

Post up how you got on.

All the best

• Like 1

I started trials a year ago and have now ridden in over 50 trials, usually riding the Novice/Yellow route, which is usually the easiest/beginners route. This is what I have discovered:

Different clubs have vastly different ideas about what constitutes a Novice/Yellow route (or section). In my experience 25% of meetings have a majority of sections that are too hard - or even dangerous for a Novice rider.

My point is this - you will probably find that you are able to complete the majority, or even all of the sections in the trial that you enter. However, if you discover that the sections have been made too difficult (probably set out by Expert, or past Expert riders, who have forgotten what is a realistically challenging section for a Novice rider to attempt) don't be put off, just try another meeting, with another club the following week. This is what I did - and still do.

Avoid meetings who are advertised as "Cup", "Championship" or "Championship Round". However, if the meeting is promoted as "classic" or "twinshock" then they are likely to have well differentiated sections and have genuine Novice routes. So, go along and just have fun and enjoy the experience. Too hard? Try another club the following week.

PS. You will probably need an ACU card to enter.

Edited by stpauls
  • Like 1

Double all the above...

YOU GO GIRL !!!!!

Relax , walk the sections EVERY TIME !(especially if wet ) , take your time , and have fun !!!! ask questions, all will help .

Best of luck to you and don't ride anything your afraid of ... YET !

Hook up with Ladyraceruk and practice/compete together if convenient !

Have fun !!!!!!!

Glenn

• Like 1

Thanks for all the encouragement, advice and well wishes, you guys set me up well for today! Hi Lou, I'm based in Pembrokeshire- whereabouts are you? Good luck with the bike and enjoy yourself, it's a steep learning curve but the sport is awesome!

Well, I managed 4 laps of the 10 sections. Only requested a 5 on section 9 on the 4th lap, I'd 5'd it the first three times and didn't fancy getting dragged out the 4th. Everyone was dabbing there, you had a 2 ft drop off into a deep muddy trench, where you had to then turn and somehow get the bike back out up a bank. That was the only real silly section. There was another section where you had to go up a bank and turn- I just couldn't get the approach right or the power on early enough. It doesn't look that bad in the photos but it was a bit daunting in real life.

The area I need to improve most on is using enough throttle and momentum up steep banks and of course turns. One of my friends spoke to a observer and on their section I had the best throttle control in the beginner group, so that was nice!

I managed quite a few clears, one or two sections I managed to do all 4 laps clear. Some silly dabs here and there.

It was mud and more mud today, traction was tricky. Between the sections was fun- muddy fields and turns- quite easy to lose the front end!

Everyone was really friendly and nice, that's part of what makes this sport special. I really enjoyed meeting new people and talking bikes. At the end of the trial the guys who designed the course went round the first 4 sections with me and we did them again with the guys giving me advice- that was really nice of them. They also let me have a go on their trick TY 175s, which were beautiful to ride. The twinshocks were coping well in the mud, cause the tick over was slow and they felt a lot more planted than modern bikes.

I'm on a 10 front sprocket and 41 rear now, I might go down to a 9 or get a 44 rear to slow the bike further, get a weld done on the pegs so they aren't slanted down, put some longer levers on instead of the shorties on there now. And a fast action throttle so I don't need as much of a run up to obstacles.

Sorry about the long post, but I had a brilliant time, it was a good trial, with a good mix of difficulty levels with the sections. This sport is great fun :D next one is on 25th near me in a quarry, so I'll go for it!

Keep your feet up and have a happy new year!

post-20468-0-43578900-1420048854_thumb.jpg

post-20468-0-22298900-1420048868_thumb.jpg

post-20468-0-62056700-1420048887_thumb.jpg

post-20468-0-65240500-1420048904_thumb.jpg

post-20468-0-04896400-1420048922_thumb.jpg

post-20468-0-24449500-1420048943_thumb.jpg

post-20468-0-53899600-1420048959_thumb.jpg

post-20468-0-23011600-1420048974_thumb.jpg

post-20468-0-05380000-1420048989_thumb.jpg

Edited by hrmad
  • Like 6

So glad you had fun ! :) And remember in mud either fast or slow ,it's all about were your weight is ... (sorta ). In muddy climbs I tend to use inertia if possible , or you learn how to keep your forks lightly extended and the back planted . takes time to get down and every bike is different . My trusty old 240 pro gets phenomenal traction , (to the discern of a few modern guys :) ). my section I haven't gotten used to at all yet , but it feels good too .

Just wait till you do a dry event and traction is easy , you'll love it even more . just remember always stay hydrated and relaxed , Breath deeeep and slow before you enter the section and don't stop breathing when your in it either ! holding your breath is a MISTAKE !

Cheers !

Glenn

Well done and the photos are great.

I'm based in Lancashire so quite a way from you. I'm going to watch tomorrow. This was advised by Hillary. I'd rather just have a go but I've no bike transport yet so I'm confined to my own back yard at the moment anyway. :(

Glad you had fun and completed the laps.

Lou