Acu Fees

dopey66

My suggestion is you go and try another discipline then come back and sing the praises of how cheap it is compared to.......anything? Is there another pastime apart from say yoga or swimming which is cheaper?

Peeps buy a 6k bike but worry about entry fees?

You have several bikes gas gas among them? Sell the ***** bike and use that for entries and stop whinging?

Sadly you have mixed the comment in with other stuff and this is the £millions of our money just sitting around doing nothing.

• Like 1

Speaking to all organisers out there.

Isn't it great to go to another clubs trial and pay your entry and ride round?

Care not a jot about flags observing,entrys.results ,just ride and go home.

I done just that on Sunday, Had an extra 2 hours in bed, Just packed bike and gear, Finished trial at 12.30, stood around and chatted for an hour afterwards, Got home and washed and dried bike, had a shower and was sitting with a beer at 3.30 with nothing to worry about but the T.V.

1st time I done this for over a year, Mind you I did go to help the other club set out the day before.

http://www.autograss.net/AutograssReviewOld/how_to_start.htm

Take a look at the above, Initial license and club membership a bit more but entry fees under a tenner.

I can go to a practice night at the local Kart track and for £110 hire 3 karts with all the gear for the whole evening. Although its called practice its pretty well racing without a mass start. The time in the kart will be a fair bit more than the total in section time at a trial.

Yes trials is still a fairly cheap motor sport but it is no longer as cheap compared to other activities as it used to be.

As a rough estimate I would say that entry fees for karting, mx and trials have increased nearly 10 fold, but over the same period that wages have increased only about 5 times.

If bike dealers and anyone else whose living depends on sales to competitors want to make a decent living, then they need more potential customers, the lower the entry fees the more likely it is people will be attracted to and stay in the sport. This is not whinging, its just as it is.

trials are too cheap and it will come back and bite us on the bum.. one example on these pages this week.. someone asking for folks to clock out when they finish so the organisers know if everyones ok.. two years ago a fell runners wife turned up at the prize presentation asking where her husband was... no one else had missed him.. he sadly lay dead on the moors and nobody had even known he was missing.. you can imagine the coroners response when told they dont check who starts or finishes and now organisation has had to change massively and with much increased costs and time.. 10/12 /15/18/20 quid is nothing to the wads of cash handed over at telford at the weekend, my daughter pays 30 quid for triathlons and thinks thier cheap its 98 quid in to watch arsenal 15 quid to watch bradford city batter sunderland in the fa cup almost a tenner each adult at the cinema to sit down.. trials is cheap..

• Like 2

http://www.autograss.net/AutograssReviewOld/how_to_start.htm

Take a look at the above, Initial license and club membership a bit more but entry fees under a tenner.

I can go to a practice night at the local Kart track and for £110 hire 3 karts with all the gear for the whole evening. Although its called practice its pretty well racing without a mass start. The time in the kart will be a fair bit more than the total in section time at a trial.

Yes trials is still a fairly cheap motor sport but it is no longer as cheap compared to other activities as it used to be.

As a rough estimate I would say that entry fees for karting, mx and trials have increased nearly 10 fold, but over the same period that wages have increased only about 5 times.

If bike dealers and anyone else whose living depends on sales to competitors want to make a decent living, then they need more potential customers, the lower the entry fees the more likely it is people will be attracted to and stay in the sport. This is not whinging, its just as it is.

Really?

So if we reduced entry fees to say a flat £5 everywhere for every event and at the end of the year will there be an increase in entries bikes sold or parts shifted?

OOOOOOHHHH a flying pig too?

Like i say disappear and try something else.................it aint expensive whatever you say.

• Like 1

trials are too cheap and it will come back and bite us on the bum.. one example on these pages this week.. someone asking for folks to clock out when they finish so the organisers know if everyones ok.. two years ago a fell runners wife turned up at the prize presentation asking where her husband was... no one else had missed him.. he sadly lay dead on the moors and nobody had even known he was missing.. you can imagine the coroners response when told they dont check who starts or finishes and now organisation has had to change massively and with much increased costs and time.. 10/12 /15/18/20 quid is nothing to the wads of cash handed over at telford at the weekend, my daughter pays 30 quid for triathlons and thinks thier cheap its 98 quid in to watch arsenal 15 quid to watch bradford city batter sunderland in the fa cup almost a tenner each adult at the cinema to sit down.. trials is cheap..

Totally agree that Trials is still possibly the cheapest form of motor sport and that like everything else in life if you dont like it or the prices charged then it's your prerogative to choose to go elsewhere and do something else. I would also like to pick up on the point about riders signing out at the end of the event. We ask ALL our riders to return their numbers then we can tick them off as finished and we know if they have had an injury etc. The AMCA now require ALL clubs to complete an event report form, yet more paperwork the riders dont even consider they just turn up pay and ride, which the organiser has to sign and admit responsibility for NOT the rider but ME ! Some of our riders STILL cant seem to cope with this simple request which after all is for THEIR safety and i am going to have to enforce it soon as if as in the above post something goes wrong it's me and my livelihood that are on the line.

I cant believe we are having all this about a couple of quid for christs sake get real.

• Like 1

One other thing and this will really start the moaners off. Under 16's get a discount ok ?

WHY ?

One bike, one rider. They just happen to be under 16. Surely they should pay pro rata for the land costs etc as they are using it exactly the same as an adult rider.

After all we dont give pensioners a discount do we ? Or people on benefit do we ?

If you have 3 kids then thats all very nice for you but why should the rest of the entry have to effectively subsidise you because you have 3 kids ?

The AMCA , cant speak for the ACU, give a £0.90 discount on the insurance levy for under 16's so all things being equal and seeing as we are all getting hot and bothered about pennies the most discount there should logically be for under 16's is £0.90 but it isnt is it !

Dont people realise that Trials organisers have enough to contend with each month ? Dont you think WE should have a private life or should we just be here at your beck and call ? How many of you even bother to send a thank you e mail for the event YOU just turned up and rode in then buggered off home afterwards remembering that you had probably had a bath and changed way before the rest of us had even left the venue.

Do you even care how disparaging all this finger pointing is to Trials organisers ? It's a wonder they even bother to put YOU an event on.

One day you will wake up on a Sunday morning and think i used to really enjoy going to a trial i wonder why there's nothing on now ?

• Like 1

One other thing and this will really start the moaners off. Under 16's get a discount ok ?

WHY ?

Much as I dislike kids buzzing about the car park on there Beta 80s like demented wasps I feel obliged to give them half price entrys.

We suffer from an acute shortage of youngsters which perhaps make up about 10% of our membership.

Parents are normally very helpful too and often enter and never really get much of a ride.

Edited by breagh

Hillary #8

Let me start by saying how much I enjoy the chips & burger freebie we observers get at your trials, pity the midges occasionally find us so appetising as well.

Could you give us a breakdown of where the £17 typically goes?

Some are probably aware of the bad feelings created at a Northern centre club last year when a portion of the entry fee was going to what many thought was an inappropriate place.

I agree that trials still is a cheap form of motorsport but it is a fair question to ask why £17 for a ride when an autograss entry is £9.

One bloke I know who also has 2 kids and moans about entry fees spent close on £60k on a tractor.

If a portion of my fees is used to fund the purchase of land (as is case with WMC) I have no problem and would be willing to pay a bit more, but if it just disappears into an ACU black hole then I do not like it one bit.

I think it would be in the late 70s when TT was still, or had just ceased to be a word championship round that there were pretty well substantiated rumours circulating that the ACU was using receipts from off road biking to subsidise road racing to the tune of about £100k per year.

Edited by dadof2