Fantic Acu And Twins

jonny13

I've looked at the regs for twin shock trials it states all bikes must have rear twin shocks,also states the bike must have frame number for the model to prove its a twin shock,as my is 1985 and bike is stamped 403 and shares the same name as the twin because it was a proto type,only 1986 they called it 266 ,so both bikes were manufactured at same time ,reckon if I stick 2 shocks on it they be understanding technically it a modified 300 pro same bike but moved on , I got a 300 pro frame just in case there's no sense of humour

What's a sense of humour got to do with it?

People have really lost the plot as to what 'twinshock' trials is and is about.

If it needs explaining any more than it has been it really isn't worth it.

• Like 5

I been reading previous posts,and there is another bike like mine at the end of Fantic forums,apparently when the monos came out the 300s were obsolete and there were loads left over,so the dealers mainly Canada bought loads of bits and converted them that's how some still had front drum brake and called 403 progress it is like a made up bike from all other models till the 266 p2 came in 86 apparently they pushed the bike for Thierry to win the title,he had a proto way before to practice on,true or not I don't know I was bored and read Italian and French forums with Google translate, to answer you question I don't know way above me,so I think they came out the factory and converteted later it's still a 403 at the end. To be honest I was looking for parts and history of the bike on line bought a 403 ts frame to convert it's like 85 had a big gap , having a good few beers and posted the forum messing about I'm more confused than anyone, now I'm sober I got to take the mono bits off eBay and store them it was the model that won Fantic world champ might be a bit interest in years ahead like t/s are today.i don't know enough to be taken seriously

The Fantic 301 progress 2, the only differences (as opposed to a 301) were a cable operated front brake lever to a master cylinder behind the front number plate, and a strippy blue/white/red paint job on the tank, and a sticker on the side panels and maybe swinging arm, saying progress 2. The factory also made a 'clubman' 301/241 which had a drum front brake, but the disc front forks were retained with a 'trick' front brake anchor arm, that picked up on BOTH the disc brake holes, on your particular bike, it's had a lash up, by virtue that the front brake anchor point is just on one of the 2 anchor points. Also a 301 engine differs from a 300 by virtue a 300 has a small flywheel cover, whereas the 301 has a larger 2 piece cover, with the bottom fin of the barell curved to accept the larger flywheel cover. If you think you've got something special, think again, because i've never seen a works Fantic that's retained or even had fitted the steering lock . as for 403/proto 266 or No 44 SSDT bike, your having a giraffe.

Edited by ask greeves

I never said its a work bike,all I said is its different,u can't pick works bikes up on eBay for 400 quid,I' don't think I've shown a photo of fly wheel cover side,as saying I got it as a doner bike I got a twin frame to build on I'm new to fantics and just needed advice which parts to order by frame n/o for the engine,for a hobby,the frame gone now history,I just thought it was different because of added frame part proberly stuck on to hide a fracture so no offence to Fantic fans if anyone got wrong impression ,all I want to know why was it there I show pic .

post-18599-0-91947900-1420478754_thumb.jpg

I hope you have deep pockets...

Very few of the mono parts will fit the twinshock frames.

Engine will easily fit the 300 frame but major modifications will be needed to the 240 frame.

Front end will fit either bikes with only spacers needed. Rear brake plate is different. Tank/seat will not fit. Neither will exhaust, airbox or swinging arm without modification.

If you work at it, you will end up with something special or a pile of junk

The Fantic 301 progress 2, the only differences (as opposed to a 301) were a cable operated front brake lever to a master cylinder behind the front number plate, and a strippy blue/white/red paint job on the tank, and a sticker on the side panels and maybe swinging arm, saying progress 2. The factory also made a 'clubman' 301/241 which had a drum front brake, but the disc front forks were retained with a 'trick' front brake anchor arm, that picked up on BOTH the disc brake holes, on your particular bike, it's had a lash up, by virtue that the front brake anchor point is just on one of the 2 anchor points. Also a 301 engine differs from a 300 by virtue a 300 has a small flywheel cover, whereas the 301 has a larger 2 piece cover, with the bottom fin of the barell curved to accept the larger flywheel cover. If you think you've got something special, think again, because i've never seen a works Fantic that's retained or even had fitted the steering lock . as for 403/proto 266 or No 44 SSDT bike, your having a giraffe.

post-18599-0-44761700-1420768462_thumb.jpg

301 fm 266 yr 1986 red and white

301 fm 266 progress 2 yr 1986 tri colour

301 fm 403 yr 1985 red and white

300 fm pro yr 1984 300 trial 1985

301 fm 266 yr 1986 red and white

301 fm 266 progress 2 yr 1986 tri colour

301 fm 403 yr 1985 red and white

300 fm pro yr 1984 300 trial 1985