Rear Hop With Pivot

I'm getting ready to go out in a bit and need some inspiration. I've got to the point I can lift the rear wheel consistently by compressing the suspension, applying front brake on rebound, then pushing the bars down and about the front wheel. I'm having trouble getting the back to get any kind of lateral movement though. Tips please!

I can do it on my bicycle but not the trials bike so well although I know the theory

Toss your hips and pull up on the bar, pull the bike over with your outside foot

It will pivot on the steering head so you need to tip the bike the way you want the bike to go

Like everything in trials, you need to do 10 things at the same time, easy stuff huh

ryan young vids are great. study and then ride. i used to have a video from dale the US gas gas importer that he did with jack stites (sp) those 2 are in my opinion the best for teaching what is needed. the vid from dale will look outdated but the actual techniques are all the same.

rob

Brian, easiest way is as lineaway has said, kick it across on the move by using a kicker or try it whilst on a camber going downhill so the wheel doesn't have to lift too far off the ground as in the video below. Plan throwing your legs and hips to one side and it should move over quite fast if the timing is right, the first hop should show what is needed to go one way. Both hops on the video are on the go hops, not stationary which are much harder to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9xcP-0-Lyg

Edited by the addict

Ok, watched the RY video again. I think i need to just get better at getting the rear up. It seems so effortless and slow watching him. Its gotta be my timing which makes it feel harder which makes me think i need to go faster. Old habits die hard. Going to go out again today with renewed focus! Ill try to get some video which should help me see where im going wrong.

Ok, this os off topic but in the interest of not creating too many threads...

The developers in the area were kind enough to create a perfect trials practice area in my back yard. Take a look at the photo below. There is a moderate hill with 10" to 20" rocks evenly spaced. As always its steeoer than it looks. Ive been practicing doing lines up and down. Basically i pick one rock to go over on the way up, then try to turn around and descend without dabbing. Looking for ideas on how to better use this area to simulate an actual competition line.

image-8.jpg

Edited by tahoebrian5

Those rocks are spaced just right to make a crazy long sections of good tight turns. Learning the cool tricks are good, but learning to turn correctly is the key to trials. All the good riders can ride incredible huge rocks, but the only way to get points out of them is technical turns.

• Like 1

Ok, this os off topic but in the interest of not creating too many threads...

The developers in the area were kind enough to create a perfect trials practice area in my back yard. Take a look at the photo below. There is a moderate hill with 10" to 20" rocks evenly spaced. As always its steeoer than it looks. Ive been practicing doing lines up and down. Basically i pick one rock to go over on the way up, then try to turn around and descend without dabbing. Looking for ideas on how to better use this area to simulate an actual competition line.

image-8.jpg

Looks nice and dry, wait till you ride mud and slippery tree roots! Get some flags or markers and set up a path through and around the rocks would be my advice. Paths that force you to do full lock turns and go at a slow pace. Once you can do this without dabbing, make it more difficult by introducing an obstacle straight after a turn. It's true that you don't have a lot of room in sections. Work on perfecting your technique on small obstacles (that includes going down the other side) and then build your way up. I'm a beginner too, but that's what I would attempt :)

EDIT: lineaway beat me to it, haha ;)

Edited by hrmad