2004 Sherco 2.9 Suspension Questions.

19delta

Hey mates, my 17 year old son rides an 04 Sherco. (He weighs 225lb / 16 stone / 102 kg, without clothes/gear).

We drained and filled the front forks yesterday, used 270cc 10wt on both sides.

On the left (USA drivers) side, when putting the drain bolt back in, it felt like it was threading into something else other than the housing itself. (maybe dampner?) It DIDN'T feel that way on the right side. Is it supposed to? Do we need to disassemble the right side and thread it into something?

By looking at parts diagram, his bike has springs in both sides. Should we replace them both? Would it bring back some spring and life to the front end? Is there a better newer spring upgrade we can install?

His rear end sags quite a lot with him on it. We have turned adjuster nut almost to top as tight as it will go. The rear spring is yellow. Do they make different rate rear springs? Would it help or make sense to have the rear rear shock rebuilt? If so, where can I have this done in the USA? And approx how much should it cost? (Looking at possibly getting my rear shock rebuilt as well on my 2002 Beta Rev 3).

Thanks!

Hi, Please don't take offence at what I am about to write. Unfortunately I can't advise you about the fork internals. I suggest you (once forks are fixed) leave the suspension as it is and try getting some weight off your son. Get him out on the trials bike often, plus some mountain biking and cut back on the worst foods. 1 & 1/2 to 2 stone should not take long to shift and he will feel and ride a lot better for it. Riding any off road motorcycle whilst too heavy is near certain to lead to knee problems.

Long term you will save quite a bit of money by not having to mod suspension and less wear on the bike.

Lol, no offense taken. He is over 6' tall, and is on the high school swim team. I am confident if you saw him, you would agree he's just fine. You should see how easily he throws the bike around! He's in the pool or lifting as much a part time job.

The forks for that year require 330cc of 5w oil each leg. The bottom screws go into the dampers inside on both.

The air caps need to seal, try a new US o-ring if they will not.

Trials bikes are softly sprung, front should be a non issue, rear might be better with a bit heavier spring but I do not know where to find one for that year, is it an Olle shock? You might contact Splatshop to inquire if the newer springs will interchange, but I will tell you better riders tan him have run that stock setup successfully at his weight without issue. I would back the preload down to where there is only 10mm or so travel with bike standing vertical (static sag).

New shocks are better, but costly!

As Cope says both forks take the same amount of oil, I always use level rather than amount but don't remember what it is off the top of my head

The rear shock for that year is probably a sachs as that is what my Jarvis had standard although they were in reality preproduction bikes for 05. I run a TRP shock in mine & even though the spring is probably specced more for a rider under 80kg I don't have any problems with excessive sag & I weigh a similar amount, fork springs are still the originals