Coming Back To Gg, What To Look For When Buying 2011 Raga?

magicmat

Hi guys,

Had a break from trials, then bought a Rev 3 had that for 2 years but never really gel'd with it. Am now looking to buy a 2011 GG Raga.

Is there anything in particular to look for?

- Im reading about the kick start and idle gears cracking the casings?

- The coating on the casings seems to peel on all of them, so guess i cant avoid that.

Anything else to watch for?

Thanks

Matt

Buy by condition, not by model or make. A well used bike can just bring another`s troubles. Having the Raga is cool, but not necessarily better than the standard model for the average rider. The later year Gassers have had better reliability than the past. But still have the same flaws.

Edited by lineaway

had mine since new and still love it!

no paint coming off anywere but had a stud pull the soft mag cases threads out and spent alot of time messing with jetting thinking that was the issue!

fixed all threads with helicoils and now runs sweet!

rebound side fork cartridge unscrewed itself off top cap which was an easy fix while changing to a stiffer spring.

thermo switch stopped working which was also an easy fix.

nice bike to run and maintain,go for it...!

Check the frame for cracks around the headstock and rear shock mount Is the bashplate really scarred up or out of shape?Is the kickstart pivot loose,does it look well used or abused?They are a brilliant bike if you get a.good one but some have had a hard life in top riders hands and deteriorated too far to be worth buying Best to find one that you know the history of if possible I don't know what size engine you want but the 250 tends to appeal to mature riders who maintain them well and ride easier sections Unless you're good enough to fire up 5foot steps you won't find a 250 lacking. Find a good one and you'll love it

had mine since new and still love it!

no paint coming off anywere but had a stud pull the soft mag cases threads out and spent alot of time messing with jetting thinking that was the issue!

fixed all threads with helicoils and now runs sweet!

rebound side fork cartridge unscrewed itself off top cap which was an easy fix while changing to a stiffer spring.

thermo switch stopped working which was also an easy fix.

nice bike to run and maintain,go for it...!

Hi Nico,

couldn't help but notice your comments on the jetting and wondered what you meant exactly? I know someone with a gasser that is struggling with it always knocking/ running lean. Did you get your fork spring problem sorted by the way?

Hi Dabster!

I was chasing a lean condition by changing jets needles and slides when the actual problem was the leaking base gasket caused by the loose stud!

mag cases are soft so the best long term solution was to helicoil all four!

I've managed to get the jetting pretty much spot on,runs very well!

they do have a tendency to knock abit even when the jetting is near perfect so was advised recently to go to a cooler plug and that has made a difference as well!

I changed the spring to the 10% stiffer one which was the same length as the original in the end and assembled the rebound cartridge properly(it unscrewed itself off the top cap)and added more oil in the compression side cos the air gap wasnt right.

all this and a good bleed of the cartridges has made a big difference to the feel of the fork!

• Like 1