Road Registration For A Cota 349

Hi,

Need a little advice if possible.

I have a 349 Cota which I've had for a few years now and have decided that this year I'll get the bike finished.

It's still in bits but I've contacted Sandifords for an age related certificate which they cannot issue now due to not being authorised by HMRC.

Can the bike be registered without this document? I don't know if the bike was ever registered as there were no documents supplied with the bike when I bought it. I'm pretty sure it's a Mark 1 349 from the engine and chassis numbers, probably late 1979 early 1980. The numbers are: 51M 18186.

I would prefer an age related registration number rather than a Q plate if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

You need a dating certificate from a DVLA approved source in order to get the age related number.

Before applying to DVLA your bike needs to be NOVA recorded by HMRC - search this particular forum for NOVA for more info

You can try the VMCC in Burton Upon Trent for a dating certificate. They'll want a picture of the bike itself for profile ID plus one showing the frame number.

Or you could try these people who will undertake the entire process on your behalf if you require for £95 - not a bad thing if you've not been through it before... Not used them myself in that respect, maybe someone else has who could comment.

http://www.dvlaadvice.co.uk/

I have an identical problem with a 76 Cota 348

I've been banging my head with DVLA/ Sandfords/ VMCC for 12weeks now

I think I shall give up very soon

My insurance company have cancelled my insurance as its taken more than 30days

and they won't insure on frame number longer than that.

The system is so slow it has stopped !

Its quicker to sell my bike

I'm so P*****d off with them all

So

Good Luck

First thing to do is get your chassis number registered on NOVA. You don't need a dating certificate or insurance to do this. Your vehicle details must be on NOVA before you apply to DVLA.

Problem with VMCC is that the person who was dedicated to providing the dating certificates and all other dating matters left the organisation and as far as I know, wasn't replaced. She had built up substantial knowledge of off-road bikes over the years which helped with a quick turnaround. Therefore processing dating requests through VMCC is now slow. It may be worth trying the company I mentioned above.

Or, paying the £95 for them to do it all for you seems good value to me.

If you have the full vin number that records its production date. Montesa can trace machines and provide proof of manufacture. But you would have to go direct to Montesa.

If it has been previously road registered then it will already have an age related plate assigned to it. Might be easier to hpi the vin and see if any details come back reg etc. If you have the vin happy to take a look for you.

A HPI of the VIN is the way to go if it can be done properly in order to find out if there is an existing reg number. I have heard of instances where the wrong reg has been returned as the VIN number entered just happens to be part of a longer VIN of another vehicle and someone hasn't paid due attention...

Even though Montesa are the manufacturing factory of the bike, DVLA will only accept proof of age from an agent on their approved list. Montesa SA aren't on it.

Hi ndrtrials,

The only numbers I have are the engine and frame numbers (51M 18186) no other info available I'm afraid. I really didn't want a Q plate if at all possible so if the bike already has a number assigned then great, but if not I may go down the £95 route as suggested by Woody, Any info you may be able to supply would be very welcome.

Thanks all

Andrew

• 1 year later...

Date for Montesa's is usually stamped on the Rims just the year only so If your wheels have been changed then this won't apply. I have a 1979 and a 1980 349's and both have correct year on the rims.

Also your numbers suggest early 1980, and inside the clutch cover the selecter drum is different in a 1980 to a 1979, a 1979 has a post in the casing that the return spring fixes to and a 1980 has the post mounted in the selector drum. The 1980 is also packed about 5mm where the selector drum fits into the crankcase so it clears the centre casing bolt holding the crankcase together.

post-17648-0-93424900-1475677060_thumb.jpg

Part 5166.01302 belongs on a 1980 349 (late Mk1)

post-17648-0-28141600-1475677375_thumb.jpeg

post-17648-0-94721000-1475677360_thumb.jpeg

Edited by kombivan

• 2 weeks later...

Read the main post on Trials Central plus some good updates,  You no longer need insurance to register the bike or pay for the tax up front. This gives you the chance to register the bike but put it on a SORN.  You do this when you get your V5C.  

Do a Trade HPI check from the frame number to track if registered or stolen. You need a motor trader check, not the ones on the net.....

Don't use DVLA Advice for a dating certificate as they are no longer approved by the DVLA.  

The DVLA use a company called SGS for inspection. They will visit you at home to confirm the bike exists and check the frame and engine numbers. They will take photos.  Make sure the bike and info you put on the V55 is correct or it will be rejected.

The rest of the info is spot on!!!    

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/54839-road-registering-guide/

My last bike took 12 weeks to do as DVLA are slow.............

Edited by gasserguy