How To Beat Bou?

dadof2

That is the question that will be engaging quite a few minds after his Sheffield domination.

Bou's Honda may be good but if it were really much or even any better than the 2Ts Fuji would do better, so its a fair bet Bou's domination is down to rider ability.

Pretty well all the top riders can balance as well as each other but Bou seems to be able to find a bit more traction particularly at the harder obstacles. They are all presumably on the same tyres and similar pressures. The difference between Bou and the rest would seem to lay in body positioning and throttle control.

When applying scientific principles to other sports great use is made of videos and computer analysis. If I were a manager of any of Bou's competitors I would be trying to find such people. By analysing all the data from videos and sound recording of RPM etc it should be possible to identify where Bou's advantage lies. Whether the others can emulate it is still open to question but at least they may have a better idea of what they need to work on.

• Like 2

Commitment - dedication - psychology - and fitness etc. all play their parts in sports, talent has little to do with those already at the top of their game, the winners are those who go that little bit further than the rest. You can be the most talented in any sport but it will not guarantee you the top slot at any stage without the other things, there are hundreds of examples like these over the years, Bou is probably the most committed - hard working and fittest of a very talented bunch.

Edited by the addict
  • Like 1

I don't know, but its likely as it is with all the other riders that the bikes are a little different to those we could buy, so between them a pretty level playing field. We often hear that the 4rt doesn't grip very well, idles too fast, is very heavy, bulky, down on power so possibly Bou is not on the best bike, or at best no better than anything else he competes against. So why is Bou getting up steps that others simply cant? its not the bike, its possibly not a difference in talent levels, it may just be he wants to get up that step slightly more than his competitors?

Edited by the addict

He looked totally relaxed but at the same time in the zone at Sheffield, even show boating a bit for the crowd. He could probably do it all on a 125 if he really wanted to- I bet if everyone was on the same make the result would still be the same. I guess they've got the same situation in moto gp at the minute

• Like 1

the great thing about trials. you don't beat or lose to your competition, you beat yourself. obviously the section is what you need to beat. to win just clean all the sections. toni drops very few points. raga consistently runs top 3 as do caby and fajardo. i think for raga it's nerves not sure about the other two. i'm a big fan of the Spanish riders as well as fuji. i've met them on a couple of occasions and their always humble and gracious, hard not to like them. the top guys can get through most of any section. toni seems to get through all aspects of a section including the last little percent that stops the other 3. the difference between a 1 or 5 is a very small margin. you have to go for clean and fight for it as well. i think toni fights that little bit extra and the showboating helps build confidence in himself and brings fear to the others.

it's obvious from watching youtube vids they can all trick ride pretty equally but in the indoor vids you can see just a little bit more that toni has. mental toughness might be the hardest thing to teach / learn. being naturally talented in all areas is a perfect storm. i think if toni stays healthy the others will have a tough time of beating him but no doubt whoever does will get the most satisfaction of all.

rob

• Like 1

question. if you watched the vids of the 2015 sheffield. the section with the tubes / pipes. when toni went up sumped and then hopped backwards off and then went at it again. he basically slide backward on the sump before hopping off and retrying. why wouldn't that have been a point for being on the sump? because he wasn't stopped? or.......

this vid about minute 2.00

rob

Edited by rob214

I don't know, but its likely as it is with all the other riders that the bikes are a little different to those we could buy, so between them a pretty level playing field. We often hear that the 4rt doesn't grip very well, idles too fast, is very heavy, bulky, down on power so possibly Bou is not on the best bike, or at best no better than anything else he competes against. So why is Bou getting up steps that others simply cant? its not the bike, its possibly not a difference in talent levels, it may just be he wants to get up that step slightly more than his competitors?

Bous bike probably is the best.

It is vastly different in everyway from astandard 4rt, I understand Eddie karlson commented that even on his improved standard bike it was so far from Bou's it was unbelievable (sic).

Bou is the best rider sems fitter and more committed as well.

It would be cool to see bou attempt the Scottish Six days, totally different kettle of fish like comparing an endurance race to short circuit racing. He could work on his paddling technique like the rest of us then, haha :D

• Like 2

I've noticed Bou watches the other riders very closely if he's not the first one in a section , he seems to study what everybody else does intently .

And I think he truly enjoys besting himself , after he does some unbelievable move or section that no one else has done with his finesse , he is always grinning , happy with himself . That and he seems to be the most confident guy I've ever seen on a bike , in a calm , cool collected kind of way. He always seems to be striving to make himself better and raise the bar higher for a challenge . I think he truly loves what he gets to do and pushes himself as hard as he can so he can keep doing it . And he appears very smart & humble at the same time .

We just have to face the fact .... We get to watch a living legend work and have good time ! And hopefully he is inspiring some youngster out there with his work ethic and style .

Glenn

This is probably going to sound a bit gay, but if you see Bou stripped off (he was getting changed dammit), he is solid muscle from top to toe. Suspect he does a lot of working out over and above his bike time.

• Like 3

This is probably going to sound a bit gay, but if you see Bou stripped off (he was getting changed dammit), he is solid muscle from top to toe. Suspect he does a lot of working out over and above his bike time.

C'mon Andy...that sounds kinda gay.

Put all the top class riders on a 125 for a year....Bou's bike Would suck!

Edited by kramit