Am I Making A Wise Decision?

robbiesty175

Awesome stuff, Bondy! For the moment, I was thinking about just fixing the top end and seeing if this beast runs!!! And to keep polishing so I can get this bike as pretty as yours!

And bonus point if anyone can figure out if this is an aftermarket flywheel...

post-20184-0-96428200-1422977349_thumb.jpg

Edited by robbiesty175

greetings thank you for your kind comments i have seen these fly wheels before never come across 1 i know there is a flywheel that you can take the middle out to gain better access to the points not sure if your 1 is that 1 am sure some 1 will be able to tell you this was my last bike i did a 198A now gone :D

Edited by bondy

Today I got this (looks like) Alpina tank as a rider for the Sherpa. Noticed no threads for the fule cap. Any thoughts, or should I just find a big rubber stopper?!?!?

Thanks! Next up is rebuild on the forks, paint the frame and lots more buffing!

Yes its a M115/116 Alpina tank. I think they normally have a threaded aluminium insert in that hole. I think I have some spare tanks the same as that one. Can you measure the diameter of the hole I might have one of those inserts if you want to fix it properly.

If you are going to use that tank just to test the bike out, a homemade bung should be OK but do include a vent in it. That tank doesn't have a separate vent

You are right, feetupfun! This needs an insert to be fixed correctly, but I am planning on only getting the motor sorted out and some initial run in time with this tank. A cap off a TY fits, with a bit of plumber's tape, and is vented too! The red tank is just so pretty, I want to seal it before putting fuel in it. And want to make sure the motor, and all other things are taken care of first. Lots to do, but it's coming along! Thanks so much for the offer to help!!!

Hi, for a brief spell some Bultacos were indeed fitted with a plug type filler cap ,they were just like a big rubber bung , the Chispa, Matador mk5 , Brinco and according to the Bultaco guide the 115/116 Alpinas had them which looks like what your new tank originated on , looks like its had its side panels trimmed though , Hugh weaver or lyn mobley should have a cap , there are always pistons for sale on US ebay at prices which beat new dealer prices

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi,

The title of this post was exactly what I am thinking.

I have been after a Bultaco for a while and have found a 198a relatively close to where I live. Looking to join my local trials club which runs a summer series, so the main aim is to get the bike ready to ride, so no major rebuild or overhaul planned yet.

The bike that I have been looking at can be seen in the link below.

Just wondered your thoughts on a few areas please.

- Front forks are they correct, looking at images of other 250 Sherpa the drum and brake plate are located on the right rather than the left hand side?

- Kick start has been tweaked out slightly in two locations. (thinking maybe to give clearance around foot pegs)

- Cost, what do you think it's worth?

Many thanks

Jonny

• Like 1

Jonny, Welcome. The bike sounds good, very little clutch noise and is set up like I personally prefer,LH  brake, RH shift.

Handle bars need a cross brace,  , if the owner has stock levers,

get them,cant really see front wheel, but it is opposite to std. , front forks don't appear to be std.Fantic perhaps?

Cant hazard a price sorry.

Good luck

Larry

Edited by lbhbul

As previously stated by Larry, the front wheel and forks and not original. Bit difficult to see from the video but the kickstart looks like a pattern part, the 199a should have a late type kickstart lever with a bolt above the spindle and these are fairly rare second hand. Levers are wrong but this is getting into a bit nick picking.Rear shocks again aftermarket but if working ok I would keep these as original Beta shocks can defiantly be improved upon. I could not make out the numbers from the video but the head stock appears to have two sets of numbers which rings alarm bells with me.

Also as Larry I am not prepared to offer a suggestion as to value. But due to the wrong front forks and wheel and the double stamped head stock if it was me I would walk away unless relatively cheap. But jugging from the prices on ebay others may think different to me.

Stuart

Many thanks Larry & Stuart for you advice,

A more detailed image of the frame number can be seen through the link below. Looking through images the RB - 198 number matches with the engine number but the DGM-16849-0M number I can't find a reference to anything.

http://s389.photobucket.com/user/sjclassics/media/1980%20Bultaco%20Sherpa%20T%20250%205speed/051.jpg.html

The bike has maybe been brought in from Europe as in some countries I think they were stamped with a second chassis number, not sure which country(s) though. Germany or Italy maybe? I'm sure I've seen this before.

Forks are Marzocchi and wheel is Grimeca, maybe from an SWM looking at the fork caps. Rear wheel also Grimeca. The only issue with the forks is that they are longer than Bultaco forks and will sit the bike up at the front altering the handling. They need pushing through the yokes to get the correct height back at the front of the bike but the top yoke would need to have the lip inside removed as this stops the forks being pushed through. There isn't a photo with a full on side shot, so difficult to see how much the forks affect the way the bike sits. Rear shocks are Falcons which are as good as they get, so if not worn out, there is no issue with them, as long as they were set up for that bike originally. Kickstart just looks like one from the previous models and as you say, has been bent to clear the frame as on the A and B models the kickstart can hit the frame.

Motor sounds ok but hard to tell really as the sound gets distorted through speakers. The bike looks unmolested which is a bonus and just seems like and honest used example. Some prices being asked for Bultacos are ridiculous and as expected, many remain unsold as no-one is willing to pay the high prices asked. Look on completed items on ebay to see what people are actually willing to pay (obviously there may be some ringers in there...) and also to see those with high prices which have no bids and are listed over and over.  For this bike, I'd say around £900 would be a reasonable price, assuming it is mechanically sound. If so it looks like something you could take straight out and ride with little expenditure. Only issue is the front forks and how much they affect the handling, but that won't stop you riding it and is something that could be sorted later if necessary.

• Like 5