Stolen Beta Recovered ?

adamspad5

I had 3 bikes stolen February 13 and after almost 2 years have managed to recover 1 out of the 3. I won't go into to much detail, but I saw the bike advertised on scumtree, viewed the bike as soon as possible to confirm and then headed to the local nick to report it. The local plod was very disinterested, but I have to credit my local police who have been great, and got the bike back. The chap who had the bike is not believed to be responsible for the theft, but instead had paid hard earned cash to the scumbags which took it. I regularly check auction and sale sites and have key words saved to narrow the results, I identified the bike on the advert from some small features which were not fitted as standard, and to me stood out from the rest before heading over to confirm the vin.

I personally would never buy a bike which doesn't have any paperwork, v5 or proof of ownership and would be wary of anybody selling without, if more people had the same view I'm sure there would be less of a market for stolen bikes. And if you keep looking you may just be lucky enough to find your bike.

• Like 3

Yes it's nice to see at least you got 1 back.my local police were not interested when 1 of 3 of my stolen bikes.was advertised locally on Facebook 3 times from different people.It took the Police at least 3 days to respond each time.each time it had been sold on.

Glad you got it back :)

If I was sure it was my bike I would have gone with a few people and held on to it until the Police had been. If you ring them saying you have had your bike stolen and you have the person and the bike in front of you am sure they would respond. Just don't tell them when it was stolen until they respond and am sure the other guy would want the police if he didn't steal it with a few angry looking blokes at his door.

Any way you can check just a Vin number? register or something?

Edited by richfr

Glad you got it back :)

If I was sure it was my bike I would have gone with a few people and held on to it until the Police had been. If you ring them saying you have had your bike stolen and you have the person and the bike in front of you am sure they would respond. Just don't tell them when it was stolen until they respond and am sure the other guy would want the police if he didn't steal it with a few angry looking blokes at his door.

Any way you can check just a Vin number? register or something?

When mine were taken I advertised them on various sites over the Internet including the vin. If I search the vin on Google it will pop showing all the advert posts and images uploaded.

When mine were taken I advertised them on various sites over the Internet including the vin. If I search the vin on Google it will pop showing all the advert posts and images uploaded.

That's a good idea. You would think the insurance companies would set up a online database so you could just enter the Vin and it would tell you if it had been reported stolen.

Edited by richfr