Newbie From Durham City

peterboughton

Hi

I'm totally new to this site and trials riding.

I live in Durham City and I recently bought a project bike. I am in the middle of doing it up with my son (he wants to be an engineer so I thought it was a good intro plus I've always hankered after a trials bike). It's a Sherco (Bultaco?) 290 Graham Jarvis replica from c2000.

So far I've had the engine rebuilt by Alan Bird, Feet Up Trialsport (who seems a really nice bloke and full of knowledge). Everything else we've stripped down ourselves, cleaned up and replaced worn items (getting swinging arm bearings out was fun!).

Hoping to put it all back together this weekend.

Not ridden a bike off road since I was 13 and I'm not sure it counted then as it was an ancient BSA Bantam with a road front tyre and a a worn knobbly on the back! (used to ride it at Aggs Hill near Cleve Hill, Cheltenham,where I grew up).

I've had many road bikes over the years, most recently an Aprilia Falco, a couple of 'blades and VFR but had to sell my last bike 5 years ago to help fund my wife's new business.

I can't wait to get back on two wheels although I've yet to work out how to get it to a trials park! (I've bought a trailer but don't have a tow bar yet - I might have to take the wheels off and put it in the boot). Anyone out there who might be able to help?

Also, what's the best place to go riding in County Durham? Just need somewhere for my son and I to learn the basics without any pressure.

Anyway, I hope to hear from someone who might be able to help, in particular anyone else who has a Sherco or is familiar with them, should I find it doesn't start...!

Cheers

Peter

• Like 1

Start at Warden Law go kart track just off the A690 above Houghton le spring. I think their website is called karting north east, they have a trials park at the track.

This sunday Durham County Trials Club are running an event at Hope Farm, signed from Longframlington. Go along and have a look, trials riders in the NE are a friendly bunch

Thanks Baldilocks, much appreciated.

I'll give Warden Law a try once the bike is rebuilt - I'm hoping to put it back together this weekend as I've just got hold of the last parts I needed (swinging arm bearings). However I see Trials Central has the dates of all trials so I'm sure i'll be visiting one soon.

Peter

Welcome.

I'm fairly new to trials but I've been taught some basics from an experienced rider and I'm happy to pass on the knowledge. I haven't ridden for about 4 months and wasn't any good before that so need to cover basics anyway.

Warden Law is poor preparation for a trail as the terrain is very different to trails I've watched or entered, but it'll be fine to start with. Personally I prefer practice to trials and Warden Law is really close so I just keep going back. It's £15 per day, or £10 per day with a £10 annual membership.

• Like 2

Hi , I couldn't agree more with totty, warden law is great to start off with , and practice but its nothin like a propper trial..I'm new also and only done a couple of propper trials and struggled at them.

I love practicing , and was there in the snow last Sunday, just got a new er bike and couldn't wait to give it a go,

• Like 1

• 1 month later...