Painting Plastic Tanks Swm

metisse

I have been searching for a while for a good quality steel SWM/ Gori tank for a red and white Gunaco. It appears they are almost unobtainable in good condition so... There seems to be a few of the later yellow acerbis plastic tanks around so could someone tell me if its at all possible to repaint these to a good durable standard or am I going to have to keep looking.

On this note I have come across a firm that will make new tanks to order if they have enough to make it worthwhile around 8/10 at a price of around 300 stg anybody fancy making up an order.

Thanks

Yep, this was on the list of things I have driven Martin mad with, amoungst others. I thought I would just throw it out to a wider audiance.

Cheers Ross would be interested, I have come across one or two, but they are beyond saving...

Someone on fleabay is breaking a gori at the moment, might be worth a try?

Giles, I have had a jumbo tank restored at Holab Concepts near Evesham with good results for not much more than the cost of a decent paint job.

I painted a plastic Bultaco tank some 20 years ago and shortly after sold the bike to a friend, who then parked it in a corner never to be used again.

The finish was excellent and speaking with my friend recently the tank is still in good nick. He never drained the fuel out so there has been fuel in the tank....hasn't peeled or pickled.

I used proper bodyshop matirials and I believe part of the sucess maybe down to the super hi-build bumper primer (allows for flexing) and the topcoat also had an additive to aid flexing.

This was a long time ago and things should have improved, maybe worth popping into a bodyship and asking for advice?

I painted a plastic Bultaco tank some 20 years ago and shortly after sold the bike to a friend, who then parked it in a corner never to be used again.

The finish was excellent and speaking with my friend recently the tank is still in good nick. He never drained the fuel out so there has been fuel in the tank....hasn't peeled or pickled.

I used proper bodyshop matirials and I believe part of the sucess maybe down to the super hi-build bumper primer (allows for flexing) and the topcoat also had an additive to aid flexing.

This was a long time ago and things should have improved, maybe worth popping into a bodyship and asking for advice?

We did exactly the same with my first 1976 Bultaco with the red plastic tank, had left over plasticiser etc from doing an insurance job on a posh Orion with painted bumpers (I think), it looked lovely for about 2 weeks then started to bubble then finally peeled off in sheets. That was our one and only attempt to paint a plastic tank!

I have seen a PW tank that had been plastic coated and that looked good, sadly I've got no idea how well it lasted.