Zap Or Db From Stop

Can anyone give tips on the technique for this? I'm referring to getting up a boulder from a stop with the front wheel on the face. Even balancing that way seems difficult to me but I have had some luck finding balance long enough to zap the back tire up on top. The problem is once the back is up I end up falling over backwards.

the zap is typically better when the obstacle is under cut. if it's flat all the way up it really doesn't matter. if it's wet it matters also. it's really hard to zap from a stand still, but a rollup is easier from stand still.

rob

Edited by rob214

Sorry if the title was misleading. I'm not looking for which technique is better, but rather how to not fall over backwards when doing either. It appears most people start with their weight as far back as possible, presumably to create forward momentum. I've seen that RY video segment. It would be a whole lot more helpfull if it was in slow motion. He makes it look like nothing at all to both balance and to complete the move. It's probably more of a question of what am I personally doing wrong. I'll try to get some video if I make it out today

i have to ask, are there any trials guys you can ride with? that would make the biggest difference in your learning. you need to see it live in front of you. then you can get instant feedback when you try it.

i also believe in not riding alone. to easy to get hurt and no one around to help.

rob

I agree 100% a day on a trials course or riding with good riders is the best thing you can do to best understand and get a feel for what is the right way to do things. Video's are great for giving you a rough idea but things are very different when you are there in person you can actually sense a persons body language and that just doesn't seem to get captured (slow motion helps but it still isn't the same)on video.

i remember watching tons of video of the top pro's and then marveling at how effortless it looked and then i went to my first WTC in watkins glenn usa, the year tommi ahvala won the championship, i forget the year. i got to stand within inches of the riders in a section. way different than watching mx which i was used to seeing every weekend. i got to see the effort expended and the sweat coming off them from how much effort they put into to each section. i was so blown away and quickly realized i needed to be in way better physical condition.

the top riders are strong and fit, it takes a lot of strength to do certain moves and to get up certain size obstacles. lots of effort. in video you can hear about how much throttle input but not how much physical effort. but when your in person you can see the effort it's amazing to see.

rob

oh, don't forget some of the new riding techniques require freak show circus like talent to pull off and make look so easy.

I will whole heartedly agree on how physically difficult this sport is. I had considered myself in pretty fair condition prior to starting. Riding enduro aggressively is pretty darn tough but I usually go out for 4 to 5 hours at a time. Just not having a seat really ups the difficulty alone, not to mention the hopping and balancing, and not having any airflow to cool you off. I go out for about an hour to hour and a half, 5 to 6 times a week and I'm still beat every time I get back. I've also just started some weight training as well.

I really wish I could find people to ride with here but so far have not had any luck, hence my obsessive posting and lurking here. I came across a couple trials people on adv rider and messaged them. One had moved, and never heard from the other. Sacto pits is a few hours away so I'll probly go to a meet at some point but that's a whole lot more effort than just riding local so for now it's just YouTube and trials central.

• 1 month later...

Well I still can't DB from a stop. I'm getting pretty good at rolling slowly on flat ground and doing a db onto anything 2 feet or smaller. I'm hesitant to try anything bigger because I'm scare of falling off the other side. Anyway I've been trying to apply my technique to uphill approaching DB and I'm falling off the back similar to what happens when I try to do it from a stop. I'm assuming this means I need to lean forward more but I'm having trouble with that. The process of getting the front up precludes leaning forward it seems. Going out again today so trying to decide on a goal.

Try placing a smaller rock at the base of the big rock allows the rear wheel to get that little extra kick. I'm not talking about a kicker a few feet out in front but one right up against the rock you are trying to jump up on. Post a video of how you make out.

Two things,

Big effort to jump up and forward. The total inertial mass of you and the bike must have a net forward momentum as the rear wheel gets to the top.

Don't stay on the throttle. This is the most common mistake. If you stay pegged on the gas the rear suspension doesn't unload until far too late in the maneuver. You want the rear suspension decompressing as soon as the rear wheel is high enough on the rock for your skid plate to clear. This rotates the mass of the bike forward as well as keeping the wheel in contact as it goes up.

• 1 year later...