Rev 3 Cdi Replacement

adamspad5

2002 Rev 3 isn't sparking, have checked the red and brown wires from stator which is giving me 360ohms which should be ok from what I've read. Is there any way of checking cdi unit ? Alternatively I've read that different cdi units can be fitted ? The Ducati type fitted to the earlier technos are combined with a coil and are only around £30 on eBay ? Would appreciate any feedback.

Some manufacturers publish resistance values for CDIs or you might be able to measure those on a known good CDI unit. However resistance is not a good way to test a CDI. The proper way is with a transformer that gives an AC out put in the 12 to 24 V range. I use avariable output old model railway transformer for this but something like http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/15v-250ma-miniature-transformer-yn17tshould do.

CDIs rarely give trouble, the source coil on the stator is far more likely to be at fault on a Beta. Again resistance is a less than ideal test. You need to connect the wire to a digital multimeter set on AC volts scale, spin the engine over either with a good kick or power drill and it should give over 20 V.

360 ohms sounds a bit high,

I've checked this again today with my multimeter and its reading 460ohms rather than the 360 states earlier. According to the guidelines on the motoplat site this is a good reading? Think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and purchase a costly cdi ?