Hardy Cub - Anyone Recognise It?

maggar

Hello

I've recently bought this Tiger Cub built by Fred Hardy; I have his hand written notes on the various mods he had built into it.

I believe that Fred sold the bike to Phil Clarkson of Leyland some time ago.

Does anyone recognise the bike?

Will the modifications mean that it would have to enter as a "Special" in Pre 65 club trials?

IMG_1922_zps6c88645c.jpg

IMG_1915_zps1ae1118d.jpg

IMG_1914_zpsbb859327.jpg

IMG_1913_zps8a37b1d5.jpg

IMG_1912_zps1db0d5c5.jpg

IMG_1917_zps2e418e73.jpg

Thanks

Magnus

• Like 2

The "rules" vary from club to club. It appears to retain a swan neck head stock, frame rail under engine, the forks and hubs "look" like triumph and the shock mounts don't appear too radial (although angled more than a standard cub. The only issue I can see is the rear subframe is far from being recognisable as the original, therefore most clubs would only accept it as a special

Edited by alan
  • Like 2

Thanks both.

It's sort of as I feared really; I went to watch the last Yorkshire Classic trial at Lady Lane and thought that although my ability would be better suited to the Clubman route theHardy Cub would mean that as a Special I would be forced to ride the harder route.

Unless there's an option to ride a special in Clubman but not to score any championship points (I have no delusions of bothering the trophy engravers any time soon!)

I also saw that the Poachers Pre 65 club seem to not allow specials in their trials - unless I've read that wrong.

Peak Classic seem to have all manner of classes available so that too is an option. All of them involve a bit of a hike for me as I'm based about 16 miles south of York.

Does Phil Clarkson visit this site do you know? I'd love to ask him a few things about the bike - no issues with it at all, I love it.

Just to clear any confusion Maggar your cub would be perfectly acceptable at our events and you could ride any route you liked from Clubman (easy) to Expert (hard) and three routes in between. We dont have a Pre65 class as such just a British Bikes one and your bike would be totally at home with us.

Our next trial will be at Clifton Scrambles course near Ashbourne this Sunday.

Hopefully see you at one of our events if not all over the year :thumbup:

• Like 3

Thanks OTF, I assume that is the Peaks Classic Club?

I would like to rid in some of your events, that would be great.

With my twinshock club - North Lincs Classic - there is no requirement for ACU licence and mine expired in December so I would need to pay subs and get the ACU code before I rode in one of your events I presume.

I will visit the website again and get contact details etc. to organise that.

Thanks everyone for your advice and info.

Mag

i dont think we ve ever turned a bike away at yorks classic and yes occasionally folks do ride clubman route on specials. regular clubmen riders refer to it as the tarts route, although i ve never seen mr kipling ride.

Edited by totalshell
  • Like 2

As Totalshell said, At Yorkshire classic there is a clubman class for specials in their Championship trials. At a pre-unit trial only pre unit bikes and twins run in class, all others run in a non-competitive class. There is only one route at the pre -unit trial which is set on the easier side to suit the bigger bikes and rigids. The trials are run under AMCA so no licence required.

That's good to know Alan, thank you. I will definitely try to enter some of those as well.

I have to say when I went to watch at Lady Lane the other week, weather apart, it was really good; well organised and very friendly. I had a chat to a few of the observers who were doing a fantastic job and to one or two riders. I was very impressed by their fortitude as well as their riding! It was all I could do to stand up in that wind and I lasted about 2 hours before retreating to the relative comfort of my Land Rover and my flask of hot coffee.

Edited by maggar