Techno Front Suspension Gone Soft

muz122

Hi all. Finally got the '95 250 running sweet thanks to Langcourt for doing a lovely job on the cylinder.

Riding yesterday I noticed I can easily bottom-out the front forks without much effort at all. I'm about 85Kg with kit, but it was much firmer before. No leaks. Bike was standing for a long while before I bought it.

I've no issues stripping the forks down, but just stealing some of your knowledge and experience, as being in Thailand, if I strip down to investigate, then order and wait for the parts, the bike could be off the road for a month. I'd rather just order the parts so I can keep riding (smooth stuff).

Thanks chaps!

It wouldn't surprise me at all if after 20 years you had sacked out fork springs or spring. I don't remember if the USD Paiolis had one or two. They may also have had a spacer in them. It's not uncommon and an old trick from my Bultaco days was to put a Chevy valve spring in the top of the Bul fork to stiffen it up.

This is no help but I'll include it anyway.

http://www.trialsport.com.au/beta/Parts/Techno%20250%201995.pdf

These are the USD Paiolis used on the GasGas.

http://www.trialspartsusa.com/diagrams/Paioli%20USD%201992-93.jpg

Edited by dan williams

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate the effort you lot go to in helping other riders.

I finally got around to stripping down the forks today. Was hoping to find a snapped spring or something obviously wrong that needed repairing, however, everything seems normal although I'm not sure what the standard spring length should be.

Having said that, I'm not convinced the amount of oil drained out was enough (forgot to measure it). I believe it should have 250 ml each side, according to one of the above diagrams. Wasn't leaking but could have been before I bought it. Guess it looks like a a rebuild with new seals and oil and see if it's sorted!

Thanks again.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if after 20 years you had sacked out fork springs or spring. I don't remember if the USD Paiolis had one or two. They may also have had a spacer in them. It's not uncommon and an old trick from my Bultaco days was to put a Chevy valve spring in the top of the Bul fork to stiffen it up

Adding more spring to a spring cannot make it stiffer, actually there is no way whatsoever to make a spring stiffer, you can only increase the preload

If you want more rate then it takes fewer coils and or thicker wire, this means replace the spring entirely

Edited by 0007