Buying Bikes 2Nd Hand & Paperwork ?

twig

Does anyone have thoughts on buying trials bikes that have no paperwork. I'm trying to buy one for my son,I have paperwork for mine but I've come across a couple for sale with no paperwork. Is this accepted practice here in the UK for off road vehicles that are not going to be used on the road. Obviously my aim here is to avoid buying anything stolen.

If it's never been registered it's unlikely to have any meaningful paperwork.

If it's too cheap it's to good to be true, generally.

If you don't trust the seller, it's not a good start.

If they won't meet at their home for ANY reason, alarm bells.

I agree with the comments but they are not always possible.

meet at the house - see some photographic id and if possible take copies -create your own purchase invoice and give the seller a copy!!!

If they won't do any of these give it a miss ......genuine sellers will understand why you are asking them to do so !!!

Cheers as always

the Wobbler

Thanks for you replies

I had one of those moments today:-

Too good to be true

Too easy to be knocked down on price

No documents

Mention of any receipts was bypassed

Wouldnt deal from their own house

My gut instinct was telling me no way and I didnt !

Nice to clear up a few thoughts on the paper work side of things thanks.

• Like 1

You guys have obviously never had a theft or attempted theft of your bike after showing it to some scumbag posing as a genuine buyer!?

These days I meet people elsewhere first so I get the chance to see if I believe them to be genuine, if I am happy then I will complete the sale at home.

Anyway with regard to the paperwork I bought my Evo new and direct from John Lampkin and I chose not to get it registered as I have absolutely no need to. However now I'm thinking about selling it, all I have to prove ownership is a hand written receipt!, kinda wish I'd registered it for this reason alone! So my point I guess is there will be genuine bikes out there with very little paperwork.

Good luck with your hunt

• Like 1

always meet propective purchaers at the local police station. i think they ve become used to trials bikes been 'tested' in the car park. only once has a buyer said no. classic bike buyers are the worst for just wanting to come and look trials riders always buy classic bike mob just want to come and kick tyres and say i ve others to look at..

Bike with V5 maybe done a few road trials, SSDT, SCOTT etc.

Bike no V5 done a year of club trials

Pay your money take your choice?

Not necessarily, all I am saying is it's best to have either a V5 or a receipt of purchase if they are the first owner. My bike has the V5 and I doubt it's been to the SSDT or the SCOTT. A year of club trials can be hard on a bike too depending on the owner :)

Edited by hrmad
  • Like 1

No proof of ownership/paperwork

ask to take a photo of their driving licence or other form of I.D.

ask if they mind you taking VIN number to police to check out.

Never forget that anyone can forge a receipt which may make you think the bike is legit.

No proof of ownership/paperwork

ask to take a photo of their driving licence or other form of I.D.

ask if they mind you taking VIN number to police to check out.

Never forget that anyone can forge a receipt which may make you think the bike is legit.

Personally, if I felt I had to take a photo of their Licence, I'd walk away.

the law couldnt care less what recipts photos etc you have or proof of ownership ( and v5 have it written in large letters on the front that a v5 is NOT proof of ownership) if someone else can prove its thiers thats where the story ends.. get a named and dated reciept from the person you give the cash too with details of vin engine number and thats all you can do..