Bashplate Rubber Inserts

nicos

Hi everyone,

are these rubber inserts between the engine and bashplate to absorb vibrations or to absorb impacts to the bashplate?

asking cos havent put them back ever since i fitted a linkage protector to my 11raga, and after seeing a thread on soft mag cases cracking,i'm beginning to wonder if these rubber blocks are transfering the shock of impacts to the engine?

the linkage protector is sandwitched between the bplate and frame so the space between the engine and bashplate is increased by about 5mm so i guess these rubber inserts are gonna be loose fitting anyway?

thoughts anyone?

post-14105-0-56251700-1422474229_thumb.jpgpost-14105-0-56251700-1422474229_thumb.jpg

Edited by nicos

I think the bashplate is used as a structural part of the frame and that layer of plastic might add more stress to the motor mounts. Replacing dogbones is a lot cheaper than cases. Your bashplate looks to be in good shape with the proper curve on the bottom. I bash rocks so much it became straight and the plate was contacting the case and spilt oil makes the rubber soft. I make my own rubber pads from pieces of truck bed liner. Scraps of tires work also but not soft trials tires.

Hi Nico,

Just replaced the small one at the back on my 2014 racing last week because it had deteriated. When I looked at the parts catalogue it was classed as an engine protector. I agree with the post above that says better to replace the linkage than risk the magnesium cases cracking. I know people post on here looking for others opinions and in that context I would encourage you to order a new rubber and remove the linkage guard. Order new nuts and bolts at the same time and it will be an easy fit.

• Like 1

Hi dabster!

Rubbers are new,removed them when the bike was a week old!

Still have the original shorter bolts so gonna put everything back to standard!

Bit worried with the cases breaking ,big repair job...!

Thanks for the info...!

Edited by nicos

• 1 year later...

Bringing this thread back to life as I purchased a Jitsie linkage protector THEN read this article concerning the removal of the rubber cushion. Is anyone using the linkage protector AND the rear rubber cushion?  

If they both won't fit, then maybe there is a way to make it work without using the piece that extends beneath the motor mount?

Thanks for any help in advance.

post-17980-0-46047100-1470375791_thumb.jpg

post-17980-0-21443200-1470375804_thumb.jpeg

I would definitely not remove the rubber shocks absorbers. Maybe add a piece of rubber to the original once same thickness as the plate in above picture?

I was thinking about that or just cutting off the "tongue" of the protector that extends underneath the motor mount.

• 2 months later...

I use the same linkage guard. There's no need to remove the rubber absorbers.

Quick question - (sorry to sound like a dummy for what may be obvious:)

(I have a 14 Raga, looking to install the Jitsie protector) 

You kept the rubber pad in place and just slid the tongue of the protector under the rubber pad?

Thanks!