Numberplate

hughandjen

Assuming you have a 6 or 7 digit registration number the 7" by 5" plate shown in the above link would not accommodate the legally required size of letters and numbers which a plate made up after 2001 must display. To be legal, compliance with the Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 is required, and the following dimensions should be used:

height of characters: 79mm

width of characters: 50mm (except letter l or number 1)

stroke width of characters: 14mm

space between characters: 11mm

margin at edges of plate: 11mm

Of course, lots of people use smaller plates than this, and that is a whole different discussion.

You do not need to have a legal sized number plate for an MOT.. As long as it's readable. May seem daft but that's the way it is... May not be road legal but fine for an MOT. The link i gave on the above post is just an example of a cheap and quick way to buy a suitable trials number plate, You have many choices of sizes available.. I use 6 x 4. I know it's not road legal but better than those silly sticky numbers that some guys put on top of the mudguard.!

Edited by gasserguy

Hi, The mot inspection manual says you must have correctly sized plate, numbers and letters. Height 64mm, Width 44mm, space between 10mm, width of characters 10mm. As crap as they would be on a trials bike, thems the rules!

I tape a full size onto my small plate for mot purpose. Its keeps him happy, he loves to try and find a reason to fail it. The tester is my uncle!!!

tom

I remember riding a FZ750 in my youth with a tiny numberplate, got pulled on it often leading to producers from the local police station to ensure that I fitted the correct size and the local MOT garage had to stamp a certificate to prove it... after a few of these I just fitted the standard size back it was too much hassle, my advice would be stick to the standard cos they scrutineer every little bit of the bike if they ever pull you for it, I had to grind out the "not for road use" stamp out of the race exhaust at one point.....just not worth the hassle, or have I suddenly got older and more sensible.....