Oil Petrol Mix

littlegadgi

According to the handbook,

It's 1.5% of Synthetic oil

Or

and 4% Mineral oil. (who still buys the stuff?)

Contrary to popular belief, adding a "drop or two extra" doesn't help.

You are reducing the fuel to air ratio as some of the petrol is being replaced by the extra oil in the mix, therefore leaning out the fuel to air mixture.

They also like the higher octane fuels 98-99 Ron. (Super unleaded).

It's thought they suffer a bit of pinging on less octane fuel, certainly my old 2001 and 2007 did!

Edited by goudrons

• 3 weeks later...

what

According to the handbook,

It's 1.5% of Synthetic oil

Or

and 4% Mineral oil. (who still buys the stuff?)

Contrary to popular belief, adding a "drop or two extra" doesn't help.

You are reducing the fuel to air ratio as some of the petrol is being replaced by the extra oil in the mix, therefore leaning out the fuel to air mixture.

They also like the higher octane fuels 98-99 Ron. (Super unleaded).

It's thought they suffer a bit of pinging on less octane fuel, certainly my old 2001 and 2007 did!

what ratio is 1.5%

% is Percentage. A number or ratio expressed as a fraction of 100.

It's dimensionless, so can be applied to any units you care to use.

For every 100 parts of petrol (in whatever unit that maybe), add 1.5 parts (of the same unit) of oil.

So 15ml per litre.

or

1.92 US fluid ounces to one US gallon.

or

2.4 UK fluid ounces to one UK gallon

It isn't odd Beta use this expression, as Per Centum (Per Cento, Per Hundred) is Latin and started in Ancient Rome.

Beta are Italian and as such use metric measurement systems which are similarly based in 100 multiples.

80:1

1.5%, ie 15 ml/litre equates to a fuel to oil ratio of 67%.

In company with other Beta riders in our local group, I use an 80:1 mix, that is, 1.25%, in my 300 Factory. The bike seems to run more cleanly on this ratio than on the recommended 1.5%. Using a 98 octane fuel for this model seems to be mandatory unless you enjoy hearing detonation from the engine. Riders of Gas Gas and Sherco bikes often mix their oil and fuel at 1.0% (100:1) with no apparent detrimental effects. I suspect that the Beta recommendation of 1.5% is highly conservative for off-road trials use, but for extended on-road usage it might be prudent to increase the oil/fuel ratio to the manufacturer's recommendations.

• Like 1