Front Sprocket Interchangability

bigmike1961

I've bought an xl250s motor for a project and need to gear it down for trials. Anyone got any ideas for a small front sprocket, somewhere in the region of 10 teeth? Does it match anything off the shelf?

Thanks

Edited by bigmike1961

Thanks , I'll check that out, the engine seems rather larger than anticipated for the montesa 247 frame.

Some cutting will be required.

or a KL engine... the xl250 engine seems huge in comparison to the Kwacker. XL seems to stand for extra large bottom end.

I use a 10 tooth on my SL230 trail bike and keep it in place with circlips. I think it's of a scorpa. Part no is TG451 made by Talon. I don't know if the shaft is the same size.

Any chance you could take a measurement or two of the sprocket?

I found some images but need a measurement of the gearbox output diameter to see if the sprocket will fit. If the measurements match the second pic, brilliant, third pic no go but thanks for your help.The output on the xl engine is definitely 25mm.

post-8876-0-41118500-1422797774_thumb.jpeg

post-8876-0-63151600-1422797806_thumb.jpg

post-8876-0-03103700-1422797831_thumb.gif

Edited by bigmike1961

Sorry big mike been out all day. Will measure first thing in morning. It does look the same. Dave.

No problem Dave, I've been messing about to see if the engine will fit in the frame on and off all day. I think it will but the frame will need a bit of cutting.

Thanks

Mike

post-8876-0-42736400-1422827783_thumb.jpg

post-8876-0-78124100-1422827851_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigmike1961

Hi Mike, sorry matches the third. I obtained my part no from a sprocket book which I lent to some one about ten years ago. Still waiting. That you can match up your measurements and find a part no. Can't remember who produced it. Looks interesting your project. Good luck.

Hi Stan,

Yes, it's not a five minute job! The chain seems to line up with the rear wheel after initial tape measure waving. The engine needs to drop and I think things will line up. The bottom frame tubes might go and be replaced with a good solid skid plate. If I need to the front down tube will be cut and replaced with twin down tubes somewhere below the twin exhaust ports which exit either side of the down tube.

Carb will be interesting.

Hi Dave.

Did the obvious regarding the sprocket (with hindsight), got in touch with Talon so that should be sorted. They said TG314, 11 or 12 tooth with a 520 chain, result.