What Wheel Size Are You Running

iltakeafive

If it's the chair wheel size you're after an 18" wheel from a small commuter bike with a 2.50" section tyre is the most common. I think this one on my outfit is from a Suzuki Z 50.

post-2720-0-46759200-1422811429_thumb.jpg

Edited by p@ul250

Any pattern you like. no you don't have to have a brake. But if not you'll be missing out.

A brake on the chair isn't just to slow you down, it's used to turn you left and you use it on cambers and crossing ridges to dip the suspension on the chair and a load of other things beside. In days gone by the passenger would hold the sidecar wheel with their left hand to brake it.

The caliper on my outfit is from a chinese pit bike. Cheap as chips and works well.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIT-DIRT-BIKE-FRONT-BRAKE-CALIPER-PADS-XSPORT-125cc-110-/400575177328 Some outfits I have seen have a setup made by Hopetech. http://www.hopetech.com/

Best setup is to have the sidecar brake operated by the drivers left foot like this.

post-2720-0-79849100-1422883975_thumb.jpg

Or this.

post-2720-0-16479300-1422884146_thumb.jpg

Wheel spindle on my outfit is 17mm as the bearings had been changed from the standard 12mm spindle type. Also better to bend a spindle than smash a wheel or bend the chair. The tyre on my outfit is a Cheng shin 2.50x18 trail type.

Edited by p@ul250

Fair comment about the spindle bending being better than anything else.

I'll check tonight but I had a feeling the original spindle on my outfit was 20mm. I know it was bent but I seem to recall that it was bent where it stepped down to go into trailing/swing arm.

I'm fairly sure the Hope hubs people use are called Bulb hubs. Hope don't make them anymore so you have to look out for them second hand.