Bultaco M106 Ice Racer

christiank

A guy in my garage has a Bultaco that was setup as an ice racer and I am about to pull it out of a pile of bikes to see if I can get it running. I don't know anything about Bultaco's except what I've read about in the last two hours.

I looked up the engine serial number but I still don't quite understand what I'm looking at.
Engine: M-10600133 (first number has a scratch that made it look like a "4" which really threw me off for a couple hours)
Frame: B-680242 3 ? - I can't quite make out the last number/letter
I think the serial number is telling me that the engine is a mid-60's M10 Sherpa T. Is that right? I've been reading that M10 should have radial fin heads. It looks like it was a race bike so maybe somebody put a newer top-end on the m10 bottom end. Is that possible?
Edit: It's a M106. Thanks to feetupfun for setting me straight.
I'm going to drop and replace all of the fluids, clean the Amal 1038 carb, and make sure everything seems mechanically intact. I'm told it has no spark and that it needs a new coil and battery so I'll investigate once I get the bike on the lift.
Thanks,
Christian
bultaco071.jpg
bultaco072.jpg
bultaco073.jpg
bultaco074.jpg
bultaco075.jpg
bultaco076.jpg
bultaco077.jpg
Edited by christiank
  • Like 1

To start with it can't be a M10 Sherpa T, because it is a 5 speed motor

By the numbers, it's a M106 (360 (325cc?) Astro) motor in a MK4 Pursang frame (a great setup for ice racing) - yeehaa!

Edited by feetupfun
  • Like 1

I took the Amal 1038 carb apart and will give it a good cleaning soon.

The electrical is only four wires but it's a mess so I'll clean all of that up. One plug cap was missing and the other is practically broken off.

It has a Femsatronic ignition. There doesn't seem to be any provisions for a battery. Can this setup run without a battery? I've built a few bikes with capacitors instead of batteries but I don't know anything about this Femsatronic setup.

Femstaronic: IB ELC2-5
Stator: JA GEA1-10

The wiring was setup is only four wires total…
- Red and green from stator to femstraonic
- Black from femsatronic to the kill switch

- Ground from the Femsatronic mounting bolt to the frame

I also pulled the stator-side cover off.

Hopefully I'll dig up a manual soon.

Being in New York you are very close to one of the largest bultaco dealers in the world. Hugh's bultaco. They are located in craryville. Maybe 30 miles from Albany. They will have manuals, parts and advice for you. Most dirt bikes for the last 40 years have never used a battery for ignition support. Some yamaha's and 1970's Hondas did but they are the odd exception. The femsatronic system should work fine if properly maintained. The coloured wires you mention are correct. Make sure all connections are clean and tight and the plugs are grounded and you should have spark.

Steve

Edited by stevem75

• 3 weeks later...

Small update...I drove up to Hugh's two weeks ago and picked up a manual and some basic maintenance parts. I pulled of the stator to check connections on the ignition. I cut out all of the poor electrical connections and put on new plug caps and plugs. Now we've got some spark, albeit not the strongest spark I've seen. I just need to finish putting the clean carb back together and put in some new fluids and see if she starts up.

• Like 2

Awesome you've got spark. That's good!!! Don't worry if you think it's "not much ". If you have it you have it. Move on to making sure the carb is fully cleaned and all passages clear. Hugh's will have gaskets and parts if required for it. Make sure you have compression. Primary and secondary. If when you push the kick start by hand you feel a lot of resistance then secondary compression is likely satisfactory. Bultacos can be notorious for crank seal leakage. This will affect primary crank case compression. In any case you've got spark. Make sure you have fuel by having a clean carb. And make sure the engine has compression and it'll go!!!

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got some more time to mess with this bike. No more ice this year though. Once I get it running I'll probably take the studs out of the tires and hit some dirt.

So I checked compression and it was bad. It has a cracked ring and a decent divot missing from the front of the piston. Well, it's not missing it's embedded in tiny pieces in the top of the piston and head. We're going to get a new piston and I should be able to clean the head up. The cylinder sleeve all looks clean so that's good.

bultaco_carb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Quick update...got a new piston and the cylinder bored from Hugh's. The top end is back together but compression still sucks. Ordered and received new crankshaft oil seals. So that's next and hopefully enough to get this bike going.

bultaco078.jpg

• Like 5