I've Been At It Again, This Time A Custom Suzuki Rl 250

jay_lael

• 4 years later...

Love your work!

From what I can see you've moved the back half of the frame forward and removed the backbone/down tube from behind the motor, added upper engine mounts to the rear frame, lowered the seat and lengthened the swingarm. You've also used the bash plate as a part of the frame. Similar wheelbase to standard but more weight over the front. 

I'm finishing my frame off at the moment. I've achieved a similar result but gone about it a slightly different way. I moved the swingarm pivot forward and down by 15mm each, moved the motor back by 20mm and made a "bent" section of frame to fit around the back of the motor, cut the frame and moved the front half of the frame back by 35mm. I reduced the overall length of the bike by 50mm and lengthened the swing arm by 45mm. I've not reduced the steering head angle or trail as I don't think the RL turning problems are due to steering head angle but to weight bias.

The bike will be painted to look like an original and won't be a show bike, it will get ridden.

I took inspiration frim a guy in NSW who has done much the same, I must acknowledge and thank Greg Harding for ideas and advice

Here's a link to some photos on another site, they start with the frame repairs and go onto the mods over a few pages.

https://trials.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4785&start=2250

Edited by brent j
  • Like 1