Nikasil Cylinder Replating

ric h

Just a point. I don't know whether in this day and age it will be the same? But back in the late 70s and early 80s, we used to have the cylinders done with nikasil after they had seized on our 700 and 750 Yamaha 4 cyclinder 2 stroke sidecar motors. The problem was that they took a LOT of running in to bed them in with new pistons and rings. By which time the rings needed changing again. If you didn't take care running them in, they seized.

BUT, the best engine we had was built out of 2 separate non seized but run in 350 twin barrels to make the 700 4 cyclinder. What a motor that was.

• Like 1

It doesn't look like the original damage was near the exhaust port, closer to the transfer/intake, is that right? Seems like an odd spot for wear.

The work they did looks good, what type of clearance did you leave between the piston and wall? What piston did you use?

It doesn't look like the original damage was near the exhaust port, closer to the transfer/intake, is that right? Seems like an odd spot for wear.

The work they did looks good, what type of clearance did you leave between the piston and wall? What piston did you use?

The damage was at the intake.I think it was just rough use and maybe a bit too tight.(it's a 2011) I trust CV-Tech know what they are doing.My dealer sent them the factory specs.The piston is a oem 75.95 which is the A.I don't know what the clearances are.Sorry.

What radius have they put on the port edges? those in the photo look very sharp

The picture doesn't show the radius work they did.Here's a pic that does.It's really well done.

P2130098_zpslouipssq.jpg

Edited by ric h