Hilux Double Cab

johnnyboxer

Can you get a Trials bike (4RT) in the back diagonally with tailgate up or is it tailgate down?

Can you get 2 bikes in with tailgate down

Is loading easy enough on the higher bed, compared to an average barn door van ?

Just thinking about a pickup over the Van

Any other downsides ? (except the obvious lack of security & bike on view etc)

Edited by johnnyboxer

If using a pick up don't overlook getting a load of road salt on ye bikes in the winter. Power washer job as soon as ye get home. As I found out the hard way!

Mmm - yep I overlooked that

Guess it's like a trailer

Van is luxury on that score

I was thinking to sell Van & Car (Honda CRV diesel, which can my box trailer, if needed) & just get get one 4wd pickup

Edited by johnnyboxer

Hi Johnnyboxer

About the Hilux, I've owned one in Australia and after some time back in the UK I know you have the same bodied models over there, maybe different motors.

A bike will go in diagonally with the tailgate up and you can get two bikes in with the tailgate down and if you reverse one in the middle of them you can get three in.

If its a 4wd version then you need a ramp to get them up, either push them or ride up, its too difficult to lift them in you would need three guys.

The 2wd version is lower and you only need a strong plank of wood.

I didn't like the fuel consumption of the Hilux, it had the 4 litre petrol motor over here so I got rid of it and I now run a Mitsubishi Triton dual cab ute which takes the same load but only uses 8 litres per 100 kms with the 2.5 diesel motor.

After riding in 30c+ over here and knowing the weather over there I think you would be better with a low roof van like the other guys suggest.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Galps

• Like 2

Thanks chaps, the van has lots of uses and benefits, had it 11 years (Toyota) & I guess I'd miss it, like you say

Main thing is security, you can stop at a shop on the way home from a trial or in the services and nobody knows your bikes inside

With a pickup, it's all on display

Only bonus with a 4wd is muddy venues I guess

Thanks for the tips

I've been tempted more than once by a Land Rover Defender 110 hardtop, for mountain bikes & the trials bike. I wouldn't need the off road capability 99% of the time, I just like them!

But I am a bit concerned about getting the trials bike through the back door. For the mountain bikes it would be a breeze.

Has anyone any experience or thoughts?

we have a couple of lads with landies take pre 65 heavy metal in landies, one in the back of a 90 hardtop.. one in the back of a brand new lwb station wagon the most practical tho is the 110 hi cap just need a proper ramp and somebody to help..

How on earth do you get a trials bike in the back of a 90 hardtop? I can get my mountain bike in one diagonally, but really the best bet is to drop the front wheel out & clamp the front drop outs on top of one of the wheel boxes, so the bike(s) sit sideways in the back.

• 2 years later...