Ariel Advice

hencam

Hi All,

finally managed to scrape together the pennies for a basic Ariel, very different from the Bultacos, i normally ride. my sincerest thanks so far to John Bartram and JonV8 for the advice and guidance so far.

The bike is an early Bartram frame, with a 1958 motor, interspan converted mag and Burman Box GB47, standard 500cc motor.

as I am still recovering from the purchase and funds are tight (I could have bought 4 bultacos for i paid for one Ariel) I am trying to do the bare minimum to make it rideable in a trial. currently it is unrideable, carb worn out, and gearing way to high, bald back tyre, sadly it also running on Castrol R at present, not the best apart from the smell.

So the Carb is a well worn 626, i don't think i will get away with just the slide, if i buy a new carb do i go for the 626, and does it matter where i get it from, for example a wassell type or Hitchcocks Amal, what would be a good starting point for jets please?

now the gearing is 19T on the engine 42T on the Norton Clutch, 19T on the gearbox and 48 on the rear wheel.

It has already been suggested i go to a 12 or 13T on the engine, possibly down to a 16T on the GBox and a 54 or 56T on the back wheel, all this is fine, not sure i will get as small as 16T on the Gbox as the chain is rubbing over the top of the swinging arm now, although i guess a larger back sprocket would help. Any suggestions on gearing please?

would a pair of Michelin X11 be ok as a starting point? or are there preferences for a larger pre-unit bike that i am not aware of?

any help and suggestions gratefully received.

post-18376-0-48099200-1424029281_thumb.jpg

post-18376-0-11007400-1424029316_thumb.jpg

post-18376-0-87796200-1424029348_thumb.jpg

post-18376-0-04191800-1424029372_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Some info here: http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/48407-ariel-gearing/?hl=%2Bariel+%2Bgearing

I've retained the gearing and it's fine

I've changed the carb to an Amal 622, it's given me a more progressive power delivery at low revs, still plenty of power for hillclimbs etc.

Genuine Amal from Surrey Cycles

X11 are great if you can get the tubless rear tyre to seat on the tube type rim, on mine the bead drops into the well below 10psi, so I run IRC tube type