Cotswold Cups

wallo

Hi all, here's a copy of the regs and entry form for the Cotswold Cups a classic road trial around the Stroud Valley.

We're spoilt in March down here, first the March Hare and then the Cotswold Cups in the same month.

Cotwold Cups Regs 2015.pdf

SAMMY MILLER ENTRY FORM (2015)GV.pdf

Should be great trial, hope to see a lot of you there.

• 1 month later...

wallo this is making me envious weybridge on a big trials outfit now that is a proper classic section , looks like i will be back riding full time next year (thanks to the N H S for the rebuild) is you see her give julie my love gcheers will.

Hi,

I agree 'Weighbridge' is a very good natural section that has been used for years - but did you know that the 'Weighbridge' pub - after which the section is named - used to have a regular 'Special' on the meals board.

It was a very rich Cottage Pie in half a fair sized oven dish, with a proper Cauliflower Cheese in the other half, all well baked with a tasty brown crust..........

Now do you know why we used to keep going back to the section................

Looking forward to it Ken,just got hope Ted Breffitt has put my entry in. Just need to adjust the clutch on my Ajay and I'm good to go.New 2 1/2 slide in the carb has sharpened the pickup off idle,need some big climbs to try it out on...

Hi,

For those members wondering what all this chat about 'Weighbridge' is about, here is a photograph of a relatively young Johnny Draper climbing the section in the 1948 MCC Team trial. Needless to say the camera 'loses' the steepness of the climb up the track by the pub - but it is still the same steep hillside - and it will still extract the usual number of marks and failures in the Cotswold Cups.

If you would like to see more of the history of the sections in the area, as well as more recent photogreaphs of events on Wrighbridge, Nailsworth Ladder and the rest - but without the watermarks - then just subscribe to ORRe - our digital magazine where there will be a feature of the roots of the Cotswold Cups, the March Hare. etc., shortly.

PHOTOGRAPH: BILL COLE

post-19290-0-33068800-1426752111_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1

Hi Guy's.

Hi Deryk.

That photo would fit well on my "Draper Family Page"??

This Is the type of section we would dearly like to see more of > Might even get more of the Truly Pre 65 bikes back out for a try on these sections, Just imagining the ride gives me goose-bums. and the sound ! whow.

Camp, King Johns Lane, are another couple that spring to mind, round here.

We Can but Dream.

Regards Charlie.

Hi,

For those members wondering what all this chat about 'Weighbridge' is about, here is a photograph of a relatively young Johnny Draper climbing the section in the 1948 Inter-Centre Team trial. Needless to say the camera 'loses' the steepness of the climb up the track by the pub - but it is still the same steep hillside - and it will still extract the usual number of marks and failures in the Cotswold Cups.

If you would like to see more of the history of the sections in the area, as well as more recent photogreaphs of events on Wrighbridge, Nailsworth Ladder and the rest - but without the watermarks - then just subscribe to ORRe - our digital magazine where there will be a feature of the roots of the Cotswold Cups, the March Hare. etc., shortly.

PHOTOGRAPH: BILL COLE

You've convinced, I'll sign up :-)

Hi wallo,

When you have signed don't forget to drop me any special request for types of machines, riders, or what have you. There are 30,000+ images in the archive and I would much prefer to use the ones that are helpful for fellow enthusiasts........

Cheers --- and enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Well that was a bloody brilliant day out,many thanks to all those who made the trial happen - especially the observers. Lovely selection of bikes,top banter,spot on sections,lovely scenery.

Best day out I've had in a long time,I don't care what my score was,or that it pee'd down most of the time, just enjoyed the ride around.My AJS is on top form apart from the chain getting flicked off in Steve Allen's section. All in all a proper road based Pre65 trial - long may they continue...

Rounded off with bacon sarnies and tea back at Mr O'Connors.( Seasick Steve )

• Like 2

Yes, great event, great day out and well done to all who made it happen.

A pity though that one or more riders removed some blue markers from the trees in the second group in an attempt to gain advantage by opening the section up to get a better run up the final climb out. The observer knew they'd been removed as they were there when he got to the section and they were there when other riders I know rode it early on. The lengths some people will got to to get a result.

Not keen on the mass start in several random groups though. I know why he does it but it's a national championship and the start order should be correct with riders in the same class going off in roughly the same time frame. As it is you can have some riders in the same class starting right at the front whilst others are right at the back where it's a completely different trial. It also causes massive queuing at the first 2 or 3 groups with about 40 riders arriving at once. If we must start in groups, make them groups consisting of riders from the same class and tick them off to make sure they start at the correct time.

The other issue is that as individual riders aren't 'ticked off' as they leave, it allows them to not even report to the 'starter'. So if an early number is an advantage they can just set off themselves whenever they like and before the first officially started group has even left. Not really the way it should be done as it's unfair (as usual) to those chasing the championship who play it by the book.

Great day though. Not sure what was hardest, some of those very slippery sections towards the end or finding the pub from where the trial started...

I did wonder what was going on at the start,we had a couple of twinshock bikes in amongst us with 70+ numbers... Mossy does seem to have his own set of rules,riding a rigid meant I got away in the first group,but it did seem like a bit of a free for all behind us.Be interesting to see the results, I reckon a lot of riders must have missed 20 and 21 at "Spoils" judging by the tyre marks leading the wrong way away from 19.

From a purely selfish point of view, it was nice turning up and having a ride without having to organise it or mark out.

Edited by jon v8

The start will be two riders going off in minute intervals by class entered next year. You will also have to be ticked off by the starter and not just start without going to the start.

Much better.

I know the starting method has been done for MSA reasons, but I wonder if it really achieves anything in that respect. The sheer volume of mud dragged onto the A419 from the two (very good) sections just off it was more likely to attract the wrong kind of attention than a conventional start and route markers.... Route marking was very good.

Perhaps also for next year, 'no nails' to fix the section markers to trees... :rolleyes:

Maybe in this year's results, add a note of thanks to the riders who helped the organisers clear up by taking down section markers in section 6(?), even though a little prematurely...

• Like 1