Cotswold Cups

wallo

Mentioned in my earlier post but essentially, observer at last double sub in second group (I think, where we rode down a track with a new wall on the right hand side and sections were the other side of the wall) blew his stack at me after I replaced a log that was being used as a section boundary. A sidecar had run over it and moved it so I was putting it back, observer thought I was moving it to my advantage probably, and was yelling his head off at me which got me a bit riled so went to explain. He was ok about it but was pretty well steaming with riders trying to go beyond the section boundary at the bottom turn before the last climb out, basically out of the section to get a better run up the climb.

It was pretty obvious where the section was intended to go and the tyre marks also gave it away, but there were no blue markers on the trees which formed the boundary, just the log which had got dislodged by the sidecar. I thought it was strange there were no markers as all sections were marked pretty clearly, but not this one. He then explained that there were markers originally but they had been removed by a rider or riders. He put the log across as a makeshift boundary. He was bloody fuming and to his credit was taking no crap from anyone. Anyone that went too wide was getting a 5 and they got no change out of him if they contested it. Could do with more like him, good lad.

So, either the markers fell off all by themselves or someone took them down. They were there when the observer arrived and were there when my mate rode it early on, but there were none when I got there.

• Like 1

Hi Guy's,

This same sort of thing that Dave says, Happened at the Manx Classic, last year, and the loop at the start of the section just got wider with every rider, then a Top name took the wee with his interpretation, by going wider still.

The observer had lost his cool by this time, so said rider who should have known better and the riders that followed with his route got five, Dave should remember this as he again was telling riders not to follow that line.

Regards Charlie.

Results are out but I didn't get any either. I mistakenly thought they e-mailed them these days but seems it's still done by envelope so if you didn't send one with your entry (like me...) that's probably why you haven't got them.

If you e-mail the secretary Julie, she'll e-mail them back to you, which is what Colin did. I got him to send them onto me. I can send them to you if you want, PM me your email.

• Like 1

Sadly it's now such a common theme, riders taking the pi55, that when i lay out i always go back the next day and re look at the section and think now where would ********** go and i had therefore better put some flags exactly there so he cant. I suppose it's all part of being competitive just like when they build or modify their bike. It has become the norm now in trials to always try to gain the unfair advantage and push the rules to breaking point and beyond. A lot of observers dont want confrontation so let them get away with it even worse when riders observe each other. Many a time i have arrived at a section i have laid out to find flags removed or ignored and the riders just going where they like. It's depressing really.

The other extreme which i have seen support for on here is almost as bad. You know the old "imaginary line between markers" one. Laid out a section the other day and the obvious line was to follow the curve of the path but under the "imaginary line rule" instead of using just four sets of flags to mark the line i should have had to use 40 !!! which would be ridiculous too. All sections cant be treated like a 50p piece either.

As i said earlier we all know when someone modifies a bike and is taking the pi55, a certain chinese pit bike engined monstrosity comes to mind, and we ALL know when a riders line is taking the pi55 also. I always ask the observer first if i can go wherever if it's not obvious and always comply with his interpretation of the Clerk of the Course's laying out.

Should be more than a 5 in my book.

If anyone has the results i would appreciate a copy.. Cheers. As for the pit bikes, a letter from John Collins at the ACU is out banning the pit bikes with new rules for the Sammy Miller Championships. !! See below..

Sammy Miller rule changes from the ACU.. Now as below for 215 and so there can be no doubt

For Classes 3 & 6 : Twinshock, Drum Brakes and not eligible for Class 2 or 5 respectively

AND AN ORIGINAL OR REPLICA /SILHOUETTE FRAME OF A MACHIME COMMECIALLY AVAILABLE AND ADVERTISED PRIOR TO 1990.

The twin shock and drum brakes should be easy to determine. The latter is where it gets controversial – perhaps. If it “ looks” like the machine it purports to represent – we can regard it as a replica/ silhouette

If it does not – or just has a bit if it looks like the original – it cannot be deemed to be a replica/ silhouette

Therefore, it must follow a machime not complying with these three things must go into Non Championship class, either on Route A or Rouite B

Enjoyable day out, but no Championship points

John Collins
Chairman ACU T & E

The intention of the amendments made to the classes of the ACU Sammy Miller Trial Championship was an attempt to bring the classes of Twinshock machines, which often had the Replica or Silhouette descriptions, into line with the other British Bike classes which have been in existence for many years. The desire was, and still is, to prevent modern mono machines being converted to Twinshocks and also to confirm that a Replica should be just that i.e a Replica of something previously made and in line with the overall philosophy of the Series. The age of a rider, capacity of any particular machine is not a relevant argument against this attempt.

However it does appear that the introduction of the words “50 machines” has caused concern and therefore for 2015 the criteria for CLASSES 3 & 6 will be:

For machines with twin-shock rear suspension and drum brakes as at the time of manufacture which are not eligible for class 2 and 5. All machines must have original frames or have replica/silhouette frames of machines that were commercially available and advertised prior to 1990.

Additional Non Championship Twin-shock Specials Class: For machines with twin-shock rear suspension and drum brakes which are not eligible for Classes 3 and 6. This class is intended for competitors to enjoy the principle of this Series with specials which are not eligible.
This additional class will be included on both Route A and Route B

PLEASE NOTE: FOR 2016 IT IS INTENDED THAT A COMPLETE REVIEW OF ALL THE CLASSES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN AS THE TRIALS AND ENDURO COMMITTEE REMAIN OF THE VIEW THAT THE ORIGINAL PHILOSOPHY OF THIS SERIES IS BEING LOST AND NEEDS EXAMINATION.