Trials Flags? Meanings?

glynn

Hi

I cant seem to find anything only about the meanings of each trials flag? is it different depending on what club you are in? if not could someone please explain what each flag means? easy route, clubman etc.

The reason I ask is because I have a trial this Sunday, so I want to be prepared and know what route to follow :).

Cheers

Glynn

The recommendation from the ACU has always been blue on the left and red on the right for the main route, i.e. the one that the majority of riders in the trial would ride. Variations should then be by a different coloured flag in pairs, i.e.two yellows, or two whites.

Lancs County use plastic 25mm D strip available from your local window company - the stuff they use to finish off window fitting when they have damaged the plaster. It costs around £2 for a 5 metre length which you cut down to 10 x 50cm pegs, then spray the tops red, blue, yellow or whatever colour you need. They last for years.

Unfortunately (and I've observed often enough myself so this is not intended as harsh criticism) different observers can have different ideas about the intention of the Clerk of the Course where multiple routes are involved.

I recall a 2 Day in Yorkshire where the yellow flagged route shared the same route as the white in places and was flagged accordingly with both colours but, in some sections and not others, the observer called for riders to leave the yellow route or joint route and follow the white route for a set or two of flags. Best check at each section and then pause to try and remember which logic was used at which section on subsequent laps before jumping in.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

• 2 years later...

The garden suppliers do labels for writing plant info on etc - they do these in various lengths and colours now so easy and quite durable.

If painting markers useful to do front and back otherwise when you turn round after walking a section everything is white or if you are dong loops in can be quite confusing.  

as the first reply says every different area of the country, even different clubs within each area, have their own ideas about what is "right"

i think we all (worldwide?) try to go from one pair of gates to the next pair of gates, but quiet how these gates are identified certainly varies.

so clubs have 4 (we do), 5, or even 6 different routes through a section so the see of colour that you see can be very confusing.

yes do try asking the observer, but they might be confused too or harassed. as a back up find someone else who is riding the same route (colour) as you and watch them or even walk the section with them.

PS obviously what we do in the south east is right, with pairs or yellow, red, blue, white, white with black cross - the rest of you are just wrong!

PPS i think the inward facing arrows as used by the Scottish might actually be a better idea

Glynn as you can see it varies. Best of luck but dont worry about it too much. Ask questions and don't worry about trying to know it all ahead of time. You will learn a lot at this event you go to but dont try to feel obligated to know it all instantly. I miss markers and miss read sections even with doing this for a long time. Just promise to try and have fun and dont be shy. The rest will fall into place. 

--Biff

Edited by biffsgasgas
  • Like 1