Fit A Battery?

chrisa

Hi

Just a question about my 4 RT. I just know it needs a few kicks because there is no battery fitted. I'm an ex Jedi after all...I know this.

I've searched but can't find anything regarding the rights and wrongs of fitting a batty to the bike. Want to run up the FI prior to kicking. There are a few options these days that are super compact, so I wondered if any of you have done this as a mod? Any electrical issues if plumbing into the generator output?

The bonus would be that I could run some lights off it as I keep getting caught out early eves.

Thanks. Chris.

Hi.

I guess it's a strange question. This bike is a replacement for the KTM which I've been using for the last 3 years trail riding. I feel in part that I've wasted the last 3 years trying to do what the 4RT excels at. The bike has a small seat and a tall 5th gear as you know, so you can sit (kind of) at 50 mph easily between lanes. It's quieter than the 350 KTM and you can take it places I definitely wouldn't have gone before. I love the technical stuff and the 4RT excels in it, even with me as pilot. Here ends the comprehensive review of why you should ditch your KTM and buy one of these if you like technical terrain and laning but don't see yourself at, ahem...nearly 50, and learning to leap up and down 2m Rock faces.

This is a long way of saying that I could do with some half decent road lights, hence the battery, and wondered if the battery might usefully be put to powering the engine management/fuel injection instead of kicking the bike a few times to power it all up from the generator, so to speak.

If nobody has done this that's fine. Just wondering.

The bike ought to start first kick as its new (10 ish hours), but I've convinced myself from the way it behaves that it needs some volts to help it, instead of me having to boot the kicker as I seem to have to. When I bought it the guy said you actually need to slow kick the bike, but after trying every permutation of kick I've settled on booting it. I'm going to try a new plug, but can't believe its that as it runs sweet as once going.

Thoughts on the above welcome :-)

Edited by chrisa

Make sure the idle is quite high, I'm not sure what it needs to be but probably higher than most think. I'm sure you could get a lighting kit for the 4rt as standard, it may not illuminate like the ktm (a road bike) but it would make you legal if you're caught out on the road. As you have already hinted though, you are using a trials bike for another discipline, I wouldn't ride a trial on a KTM, maybe the Beta Alp would be a better option?

Battery on a 4RT?

Totally unnecessary & not designed for it

Mine starts 3 rd kick from cold & first kick when hot

If you are booting it, you are doing it wrong - sales guy was right

From cold 'push' through twice & then a decent prod for the third kick & it should fire up

Hot - just prod it

Must be something wrong if yours isn 't - check plug & valves first

Lights supplied will run ok on the bike's generator

Can't see the point of what you're trying to achieve

Edited by johnnyboxer

Make sure the idle is quite high, I'm not sure what it needs to be but probably higher than most think. I'm sure you could get a lighting kit for the 4rt as standard, it may not illuminate like the ktm (a road bike) but it would make you legal if you're caught out on the road. As you have already hinted though, you are using a trials bike for another discipline, I wouldn't ride a trial on a KTM, maybe the Beta Alp would be a better option?

I've got a Beta Alp 4 & it's chalk & cheese to my 4RT & an Alp is chalk & cheese to a KTM 350, sort of halfway house

A 4RT is ok on the road, but 3-4000 miles on one may show up its weaknesses

Edited by johnnyboxer

Seems people are getting spoiled on all the electric start dirt bikes. The 4rt is still one of the easiest starters.

Yep, you can nearly do it by hand

Never had an easier bike to start

Try a Maico 490 if you want a brut :)

Edited by johnnyboxer
  • Like 2

Battery on a 4RT?

Totally unnecessary & not designed for it

Mine starts 3 rd kick from cold & first kick when hot

If you are booting it, you are doing it wrong - sales guy was right

From cold 'push' through twice & then a decent prod for the third kick & it should fire up

Hot - just prod it

Must be something wrong if yours isn 't - check plug & valves first

Lights supplied will run ok on the bike's generator

Can't see the point of what you're trying to achieve

Strange that. Mine kicks first time cold, but is more of a problem hot. Maybe I'll check the valve clearances. It's a thought.

I have never owned a 4RT but those I have had a go on have started dead easy, just a steady push that spins the engine.

For lights use the standard lights and rig up an additional separate rechargeable battery and high power led cycle front light.

• Like 1

The generator is too weak to start with lights switched on. It is important to switch off the lights before starting.

On some bikes the current is a bit too low to get starting with 1st kick.

I have mounted a 1-mm-thick spacer behind the generator stator. The overlapping between rotor and Stator becomes bigger. More current is generated and thereby the ignition coil has a little bit more current.

So at my 4RT it is possible to lower idle speed to 1600 rpm and it starts 1st kick cold or hot.

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee439/Rollox/Montesa%20Cota%204RT%20260/spacer.jpg

http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee439/Rollox/Montesa%20Cota%204RT%20260/spaceratgeneratorcover.jpg

Edited by rollox
  • Like 1