March Hare 2015

wallo

must be full entry , pal of mine had his entry returned as preference was being given to classic bikes .Looking forward to it myself.

It is oversubscribed,your pals entry would have been returned for the reason you said. As a classic club,riding classic sections on land that is in some cases as old as trials itself it only fair really. I'd delete the trailbike class if it were down to me,they are nothing to do with classic trials and would get the entries down to a manageable level.

• Like 2

I cant answer that Turbo - I honestly don't know the answer, I was just putting forward a personal point of view.I have no interest at all in trail bikes or modern mono bikes being included in classic trials.I have nothing against them,but I would be prepared to pay a higher entry fee to ride in a trial free of them.

Cant remember exactly,but I think I'm right in saying that all the older stuff gets away first with the sidecars etc,so the classes should stay apart to some extent.Think my number is 9 this year in the rigid class.

Edited by jon v8

Hi jon, turbo et al,

The reason that trail bikes became involved in the classic trials scene was ridiculously simple - nothing to do with wanting bigger entries at all!

To put it mildly they were motorcyclists and they provided a vast amount of assistance clearing ground, manning observers cards, marking out long routes, etc., etc. As a 'reward' we included a trail bike class and that way the interested ones became even more involved and eventually quite a number actually got themselves an old British bike and really joined in the fun.

So now you know - they were motorcyclists, through and through, whereas most clubs were getting full of trials riders who had never owned a bike on the road and transported their competition bikes to and from events in vans or trailers, the classic crowd had a tendency to ride their bikes to the events.............

Cheers

Deryk Wylde

Thanks Laird , that makes sense . Jon I enjoy it all ,classic ,trail ,modern etc , I am just greedy !!!! :hyper::hyper:

Thanks Deryk - makes sense,my problem is I'm a grumpy git who lives in the woods,perhaps I need to get out to civilisation a bit more. :unsure:

Hi jon, turbo et al,

The reason that trail bikes became involved in the classic trials scene was ridiculously simple - nothing to do with wanting bigger entries at all!

To put it mildly they were motorcyclists and they provided a vast amount of assistance clearing ground, manning observers cards, marking out long routes, etc., etc. As a 'reward' we included a trail bike class and that way the interested ones became even more involved and eventually quite a number actually got themselves an old British bike and really joined in the fun.

So now you know - they were motorcyclists, through and through, whereas most clubs were getting full of trials riders who had never owned a bike on the road and transported their competition bikes to and from events in vans or trailers, the classic crowd had a tendency to ride their bikes to the events.............

Cheers

Deryk Wylde

I used to help at Swindon Town FC , but they didn't let me play in the Premiership #rediculasreason

Edited by wallo

I cant answer that Turbo - I honestly don't know the answer, I was just putting forward a personal point of view.I have no interest at all in trail bikes or modern mono bikes being included in classic trials.I have nothing against them,but I would be prepared to pay a higher entry fee to ride in a trial free of them.

Cant remember exactly,but I think I'm right in saying that all the older stuff gets away first with the sidecars etc,so the classes should stay apart to some extent.Think my number is 9 this year in the rigid class.

Sidecars should go out on Monday morning not first out on the Sumday, my opinion only.

So, the trial is over, bike is cleaned. I enjoyed it, but......

Far to many enduro bikes in my opinion, I worry that the classic bike scene is dying.

Riding manners for some went out of the window, we have to respect others, stop and turn off engines for horse riders etc etc

You can open and close gates, it's really easy.

Should I ride the CRF 450 R next year and really p@ss people off?

Lovely ride round,my bike is still fithy - family duties when I got home. I'd like to thank the GV team for all their hard work,so many landowners and organisations to deal with,its a major task.

I didnt see any bad manners from riders,but luckily I was out in front with the sidecars and then gradually went past them as some of the tracks were difficult for them.Did meet and chat to plenty of horse riders and walkers who were all friendly,sharing gate duties etc.

Shame there are so many enduro bikes,the sections arent really suitable for them with poor steering lock and mostly peaky 2 stroke engines.My guess is they just enjoy the tracks in between...

• Like 1