Michelin X11 Vrs X Lite

jam

X Light very prone to splitting as did my mates then mine, now we are both on X11. I think its not worth the risk on rocks for sake of a few grams unless you are an Expert. I could not tell if one was better as i think its mainly about the nobble edge and tyre pressure.

IRC was the best tyre for me but as said no good on newer rims shame. Worst tyre VEE rubber entered Scott on one hard work came to mind.

• Like 1

I agree Hillary, good tyre regardless of weight. I just mentioned the weight in case people thought it was meant to be a lot lighter. I have just ordered another one. Only ever had three as my last couple of new bikes didn't come with them but i'm yet to split one. Its only a matter of time however as I have split loads of tyres over the years.

I have tried IRC and Dunlop but prefer the Michelin

X-lite every time. Its not any lighter but has a more flexible side wall and a softer compound. Grip's great and last as long as a X11 but is slightly more prone to side wall cutting through. Only real negative I've found is you can't fix a leak very well with a turd or even an internal patch. It seems like the air can find a way along the layers in the construction and out where the hole was for within if you get my drift. Still, I love them.

Had a cut with a small leak in the side wall of my X-light, put this in the tire, problem solved.

http://www.notubes.com/Stans-Tire-Sealant-Pint-P94.aspx

I now put it in as a prevention

Internal patch won't work because there's too little rubber on the inside of the tyre and the sidewalls flex too much.

Edited by guys

The X11 is a fantastic tyre. The X-light is also as good grip wise. They Are the best 2 tires by miles.

The X-light needs slightly higher pressures due to the soft sidewalls.

On a modern bike use an X-light.

If its an older or heavy bike, your'e better off with the X-11.

• Like 1