Royal Enfield Restoration

carlsmith

This was left to my wife after her Grandfather passed away. We believe he acquired the necessary parts and built it himself. It ran well and was all there but it was "used". It was his favourite bike. So I decided to show it some love. The frame and swing arm have been powder coated, forks have all new internals and have been polished. The wheels have been polished and the brakes over hauled. The rear shocks were fubar'd so a very similar pair have been used. Both yokes have been powder coated and new bearings installed.

The build so far

post-18224-0-10076200-1425506996_thumb.jpg

post-18224-0-69848900-1425507015_thumb.jpg

post-18224-0-01788900-1425507043_thumb.jpg

post-18224-0-85166600-1425507060_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi lorenzo,

I don't know whether it was intended - but using it the way it is now fitted will give a much firmer action because the natural rotation of the wheel will tend to pull the brake on harder if there is any slop in any of the bushes, etc.

The way it was would tend to ease the brake as the slop was taking up then reach the end of the play and tend to grab - not nice when it makes you lose traction on slippery sections..........

Deryk Wylde

Hi Guys, it was an innocent mistake, simply because the brake lever is that side we assumed (wrongly) that the drum went that side. It will be changed round as I would like it "right" . Thanks for spotting it.

As you can see on the original picture it was correct before we got at it.

Carl

The brake outer cable appears to be anchored to the brake plate, rather than the fork slider - wouldn't this defeat Derek's reasoning...?.

Hi lorenzo,

Here is an image of the Royal Enfield loaned by the factory to Comerfords as a 'demonstrator' - now look which way the front wheel is mounted - and ask yourself: "WHY?"

post-19290-0-64471400-1425643580_thumb.jpg

Derek - I looked at the pic. of the bike BEFORE STRIPDOWN. I saw that the brake was originally on the LEFT.

I looked at the pics. of the bike being rebuilt and saw that the wheel had been turned round and the brake was now on the RIGHT. At this point I asked the OP "why?"

I looked at the archive picture you supplied. I saw the brake is also on the LEFT, suggesting that this is the correct orientation (and supporting my original question).

Or am I losing the plot ?

Hi lorenzo,

You are not losing the plot - just fit the wheel with the brake on the left and you will get the best 'progressive' feel to the front brake'.

All the best - and enjoy the bike, it is looking good,

Cheers

Deryk

Do you think I'm going to let her any where near it Matt?? Nah!!

Haha that's not very nice!!!

Looking a bit to shiny for you mate. Is it the same model as Steve broadbents Enfield? Be great to see them both at a trial

Edited by iltakeafive

Haha that's not very nice!!!

Looking a bit to shiny for you mate. Is it the same model as Steve broadbents Enfield? Be great to see them both at a trial

I think Steve's is older but yes they are the same. I will ride it when it's not muddy.