Ossa Mar Cylinder

longlegscanbeuseful

Hi All, I've just picked up a MK2 MAR to add to my stable. There are a couple of interesting features which it would be nice to know the history of. My intention is to trial it and maybe one day restore it. The previous owner has had it for 30 years and has not done any of the mods, its as it was when he acquired it in 84.

The cylinder fins have been slotted to take a rubber strip, maybe to reduce noise or vibration. I've never seen this on a MAR before. Anyone seen this before?

Barrel

Other mods include:

It has an alloy middle exhaust which looks like a modified aftermarket tailpipe, it has a Colin Appleyard sticker on it. AND...no tailpipe.

The swingarm looks to be Mk2 but is shortened slightly and the axle slot is open ended and the end of the swingarm.

The stator output wires have been routed through the top of the case. I remember my first MAR back in 78 was always nipping the wires between the case and bashplate.

• Like 1

Yes have seen the barrel done in that way but it had bits of pipe stuffed in rather than nice rubber blocks, no idea what the original spec of the bike was but it was fitted with the dual seat from one of the trail versions of the MAR.

Have done that wiring modification and also seen it done by others - from (my admittedly hazy) memory you had to also remove some metal (a fin maybe?) to run the wire round that way behind the stator so it wasn't as simple as it first appears. I did it to make it harder for water to get in rather than preventing damage to the wires though.

Also had a swinging arm done the way you describe but didn't measure it.

• Like 1