Fear Of The Observer!

arw

how do you other riders get over this fear?

i find myself practising sections and riding well, put an observer there with their stern look, clipboard and flask and i instantly drop a mark and loose my nerve!

i seem to have a sub concious that makes me to aware of my actions in front of a crowd, yet put me infront of 3 of my trials friends and im a level better and full of confidence!

how can i overcome this?

The old tried and tested way always works.... picture them naked! Ahahahahahahahahaha

I'm usually concentrating so hard I dont even see the "Handler of Dabs". Go up a class you'll not see them then... (wink)

Mags

Have you ever actually talked to the observers? They are a really nice bunch of people who watch and score us lot mucking about for 3 hours or more rain or shine, without so much as a thank you from some folks. I've gotten advice from an observer after a trial about where I could go to practice. Don't take it all so seriously ;) I think it's the flags and the rest of the crowd that bring on the nerves as much as anything else!

Edited by hrmad
  • Like 3

Then maybe try to go last or near the back in the first section? The crowd usually thins out a bit if it's a 10 section trial. I'm only a beginner myself I've done around 6 or 7 trials, and I still manage to stall in the first section first lap most of the time, haha!

I just walk the section chatting with the observer and when it's time to ride say,"Let me show you how NOT to do this." Or when they yell RIDER I thank them for their optimistic appraisal of my abilities. I don't have a problem being watched but like everyone else when there's ribbons up every obstacle grows by 20% and every corner shrinks by the same amount.

• Like 3

Or when they yell RIDER I thank them for their optimistic appraisal of my abilities.

I usually look around with a confused look on my face until I realize they are talking to me...............

• Like 3

i find myself practising sections and riding well, put an observer there with their stern look, clipboard and flask and i instantly drop a mark and loose my nerve!

i seem to have a sub concious that makes me to aware of my actions in front of a crowd, yet put me infront of 3 of my trials friends and im a level better and full of confidence!

how can i overcome this?

This sport is you against yourself. For the most part everyone that is watching would love to see you clean the section. That is why it is 90 % mental.

• Like 2

Being a rider and observer, I always try to have a chat, it's surprising what you can learn, sometimes even get told of the best line to take that only a few riders are doing or better still which muddy hole to avoid!!!

• Like 1

Have you ever actually talked to the observers? They are a really nice bunch of people who watch and score us lot mucking about for 3 hours or more rain or shine, without so much as a thank you from some folks. I've gotten advice from an observer after a trial about where I could go to practice. Don't take it all so seriously ;) I think it's the flags and the rest of the crowd that bring on the nerves as much as anything else!

This is a very good point Observers are a critical part of of sport and are usually the friends and family of us and fellow riders who are giving up their time for us, so say hello to them when you are looking at the section for the 1st time and always thank them on the last lap of the day for their efforts,

Another plus to chatting with Observers is you sometimes get a tip on a better line through the section that you may have not considered,

Steve,

Edited by vonhazza
  • Like 2

how can i overcome this?

You could try Observing yourself for a day and see things from the other perspective that may take away your fear,

In practice no one is really keeping score so their is less pressure than a Trial, so set practice sections that are hard to clean and if you can clean them 3 times in a row tighten them up or move to something new, if you are better than your friends help them get better, talking and thinking about techniques will help you think your way through a section plus while you are concentrating on riding you won't have time to worry about what the Observer and crowd are thinking,

Steve,

• Like 1

Also in practice many of us tend to "practice" the bits we enjoy and are good at. example: big hillclimb, big obstacle, etc....

But we tend to forget what caused us to take points at the last event. like that really stupid tight turn in the mud and my front tire washed out..............

So try to have 2 parts to your practice sessions.

Really fun stuff to put a smile on your face

Actual work on techniques that you need to master.

• Like 3

My fear is not the observer. Its usually that damn ribbon. I find that I find that I push my invisible boundaries in practice much more than the physical tape in an event. Try practicing with tape and cardboard cutout of a mean looking observer. All phobias will be removed... :)

--Biff

• Like 1