2014 125 Evo Ignition Help

dcmayle

Hi, My lads 2014 125 decided to stop running today. It would occasionally fire and kick back, but the spark was found to be very intermittent. I can do a few resistance and output checks on the stator & pick up coil, but looking at the price of the CDI & Stators I could do with making sure I know which is faulty if I can’t find anything conclusive. Annoying on a bike that is not even 18 months old! Does anyone know if there is compatibility with these parts on other models? Many Thanks.

Dave

As above- kill switch, new plug, poor earth?

If it turns out to be stator speak to Lamkins they are really good regarding faulty parts and have in the past replaced parts even when outside of the warranty period.

• Like 1

Check the wiring to the coil, one wire is screwed on the mounting bolt, the other on a spade connector to the botom of the coil.

My 2014 300 started coughing, spitting and misfiring a few weeks ago, turned out the spade connector on the bottom of the coil had opened up causing it to fit really loosely.

It was also rather mucky, I gather it takes sh*t full in the face where it's located.

Rather helpfully, this advice is in the handbook!

Under "Troubleshooting - The motor Stops or Splutters"

Page 62

A quick clean and a squeeze with the pliers of the connector saw it fit tightly and it's been no trouble since.

Edited by goudrons
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks for the the help and suggestions. The ignition winding on the stator was found to be open circuit (once it stopped being intermittent and failed for good)

I sent the faulty stator to Lampkins and a replacement was sent by return. Very pleased with their service.

Chris at http://www.betastatorrewinding.co.uk/as suggested was most helpful.

Dave

• Like 2