Action Shots

watch this

• 1 month later...

It should have a performance edge, but only small.

From probably 1980 we used to weld 30mm of straight tube in the bend on the 325's then the 340's came with a longer front pipe as standard i think(!).

As one of the mods vesty and Reg May did they took this way further by re routing the front pipe and therefore increasing the length considerably more than the 30mm.

This appeared on quite a few bikes that vesty rode so the asummption is, it is good and worthwhile.

The achilles heel is the mid box which needs constant looking after and re packing depending on how much and how hard you ride a bit to keep the motor in top fettle, and therefore make the mod worthwhile.

• Like 1

A good friend built this bike quite a few years ago with the long header pipe mod, but to be quite honest neither of us could pick a noticeable difference in power. If you look at the Spanish 'Puma' bikes some of them run a longer header pipe styled after a Gas Gas header pipe.

Cheers Greg post-222-0-37387400-1446982394_thumb.jpg

post-222-0-18251500-1446983237_thumb.jpg

Edited by sherpa325
  • Like 4

The bike is a bitsa made up of parts that he had acquired/leftover from many bultaco restorations. The airbox and silencer were homemade, the frame is a 199, engine -199a, forks and triple clamps- early italjet, rims- early gold italjet.The swingarm came on a 199B that was imported to Australia from Hughs in the USA and looks to be purpose built for sherpas. The 199B was restored to original and an original swingarm was sourced and so the alloy one became surplus.If you have Bernie Schreibers book 'Observed Trials' he appears to be riding a Sherpa with the same swingarm in it on page 88.

Cheers Greg

• Like 3

Great day out watching an Aqueduct Classics trail such a great venue for the event, we went to see what there events were like and came a way wishing i had taken my bike ...... here are some photos i made there were lots of bike at the event i have just picked out some Bultacos for on here 

Edited by bultacorock
  • Like 8

BR , can you identify the #4 photo?

Great photos BTW thanks!!

Had this photo of my young friend , I believe the Texas National this spring.

Looks mighty dry and slick, really need concentration and all the weight you can muster

on the RH foot rest, plus good throttle control and a reliable steed at this point.

The bike speaks for itself.

Larry

post-14329-0-42495400-1447793947_thumb.jpg

• Like 4