2009 4T Frustration

vanman1950

Hi....purchased a 2009 4t last week as wanted to go down four stroke route for a change but really frustrated as can't get it to start,it ran fine when the seller fired it up and it sounded sweet as a nut.Have watched videos online but try as I may cant get it fire up.

Can anyone offer advice apart from go back to 2t!!!!!

I think your final sentence will come back and haunt you?

Sherco 4T was a huge flop for the manufacturer although when the bike was running it rode quite nice, the biggest problem they had was the one your encountering trying to start the bugger.

There have been lots of small solution improvements suggested, but I beleive none that cured it!

Return to seller if possible is my suggestion and buy a 4RT if you want the four stroke option, ultra reliable, Honda quality.............and starts with a gentle prod!

• Like 1

Kick it over twice, slowly. Third kick she should go no problem. Also take the slack up in the throttle too.

If she doesn't go, hold the throttle wide open and kick it a couple of times. Then repeat process above. Hope this helps!

Thanks jimmywelk and all the other replies I'll try them all and post tomorrow if I succeed,if not looks like I have bought a pup and at my age too!!!!

Will talk to seller and see what he say's, seemed genuine he did say there was a knack to it !!! Clearly I haven't found it yet!!!!

Iridium plugs generally just have one earth electrode. It is their very fine centre electrode that gives them good firing properties.

A few slow kicks with the throttle closed and kill button pressed cleans out the cylinder and helps starting.

I am not familiar with the Sherco handbook, surprised they suggest a 3 earth electrode plug, these are usually used to give high mileage in cars, not easy starting.

Kick it once slowly with the throttle completely open. Then completely shut the throttle amd kick over again gently. I would suggest taking your hand of the bar so you dont open the throttle at all and it should fire up

Second that, choke on do the deal no throttle and take it to TDC then a good but not to hard prod. They have a decompressor built in to allow a softer but solid prod at it.

Why not take it back to the seller and let him show you how to start it cold and hot, if he can't then you might have have some discussion about it?

As said Sherco have never found a full solution to this problem and it is so iratic with no set procedure that any set throttle position, how hard you kick it etc. etc. doesn't seem to work.

I hope you find a solution my friend, but I feel your frustration will grow?

Hello Vanman, These bikes are fantastic things but not that easy to ride and they need setting up properly then they will start no problem, its not really down to how you kick it over. I have had these since 2005 and they are OK but spares are starting to get thin on the ground. I hate this typing (just this has taken days!) I am more than happy to help sort it out but we need speak by phone, 01375891592. All the best, Steve Monk.